Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another question about idling....
My girlfriends teg has a tendancy to idle funny when it is cold out...it goes to 2000 and then to 1000 and then to 2000 and then to 1000...and so on...till it completely warms up or she just starts driving...
She has an 94ls automatic with 150,000km. It is in sweet shape and this idle thing confuses me...I want to try and fix it myself If I can...anyone else have this problem? This only happens when it is cold out...I want to get it fixed before she starts bugging the hell out of me(it was my car before-and it started to do this at the end of the winter).
any suggestions?

·
Registered
240 Posts
a fluctuating idle could be caused by a few different things (straight from the helm's manual)... here they are in order of probability:

1) IAC (Idle Air Control) Valve
2) Fast Idle Thermo Valve (Automatic transmission only)
3) Idle speed adjustment
4) Throttle cable
5) Throttle body

i know this doesn't help much, but i recommend you pick up a helm's manual so you can start looking into each of these areas for a solution...

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks guy...I have the manual...it doesn't help that much though..it is not really a problem solving manual...I will chech into them though...and ask the mechanics at the acura dealership...we are practically friends now...they don't want anything from me unlike the people at the counter

·
Registered
240 Posts
well, i would start by checking the vacuum lines going to the IAC and also the wiring going to it...

in the manual it shows a simple way to check the IAC's proper functioning by connecting terminals A12 and A10 with a jumper wire... check out page 11-100

·
Registered
29 Posts
considering it happens only when cold out, try to chek your iat sensor, that is also a possability...if it were the iac valve, it would also run like that when warm out..

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
You could try cleaning your IAC valve, its pretty easy to do.

Its attached by two bolts (10mm or 12mm I beleave) to the back of the throttle body. Simply pull the clip, remove the bolts and then wipe the insides with some q-tips soaked in carb cleaner.

Wipe any remaining carb cleaner off with a dry qtip, replace and see if it helps.

It almost sounds like a vaccum leak, except when I had a vaccum leak it didn't stop going from 1000 -> 2000 and back even when it was warm.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts