Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on giving my car a good detailing this weekend and I have some questions. I plan claying my car for the first time ever (after washing obviously) and I am wondering if it is really worth it to put on a glaze after the clay or if I should just go ahead with the wax after I clay. I've got the Mother's clay bar and plan on using the Eimaan Fabrik clear pearl detail spray and the P21S paste wax. I think this will give great results but do you guys think a glaze such as Meguiar's No.7 would enhance the look? Thanks

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
Clay has been known to create some very minor swirling. A polish would definatly help if that were the case. I would follow up the clay with Meguiar's #9 if you have a polisher and that should take care of that. #7 will definatly make it look better but may not do much for any swirls you have. Just remember to polish first and wax later. Polish will take off all the wax and you'll have to redo it. only wax when you are satisfied with the finish and now you just want to enhance the apperance of your perfect paint. :)

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
P21S paste wax has a very great shine to it. High quality wax.

Personally I am not fond of glazes for daily driven cars. For show cars, the use of a glaze and a high quality wax looks stunning.. but due to the short life of glazes, its alot of work for little results. Its basicly a product containing mostly oils (some have mild cleaners) that enhance the shine and temporarily fill in swirl marks. After afew weeks, or afew washings they will be gone.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. No I don't have a polisher but I hope to soon acquire one. I think I am just going to go ahead and clay the car and then put the wax on to see how it comes out. What product would you recommend to get rid of swirl marks by hand, or should I just wait till I get a polisher? Is 3M SMR effective if used by hand?

on a side note, I went down to my local Canadian Tire today and to my amazement found a lone microfibre towel, the only one in the whole place. Obvioulsy I quickly scooped it up after hearing the rave reviews on here and since it was dark when I got back and I was dying to try it, I decided to give the mirrors in my bathroom a quick cleaning with just pure water. The results were amazing, no streaking or waterdrops left over at all! All I have to say about microfibre towels is this : Best Thing Ever.

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
3M Swirl Mark remover is effective if used by hand, but it requires a bit of work.

You want to work the compound into your paint, don't let it dry like you would a wax. Remember that the compound needs to remove some clearcoat, so don't be afraid to put your arm into it. Start off using a good amount of pressure on the pad. As the compound starts to dry and get tacky, slowly use less and less pressure. once the compound is almost dry, wipe the remaining off with a clean microfiber towel. once you have finished with one area, move on to the next. A good rule of thumb is buff two square feet at a time.
More info here -> swirl mark article

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. Sorry about that, guess I should have checked the articles again, it's been a while.

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
FlyinHighImport on Aug/24/02 said:
they sell buffers/polishers at costco and home depot for $35, they are good and mine still runs strong.
Eeeeeek! I guess if you are pretty good at polishing then those wouldn't be a problem. If you want a polisher that is easy to use and is effective then you are going to want to spend a little more money. Check out the polishers at 4 Star. They've got some great kits all put together for ya. The Porter Cable is the polisher of choice for most detailers. Until you can handle a rotory polisher then the Porter Cable is the best thing you can get. They really aren't that much money either. You'll pay $150 for a professional to polish your car and they probably won't even get it as good as you'd like it to be. Pay the same amount of money and buy the polisher and you can polish it all you want untill its perfect. Just a thought. You won't see a professional using a $35 dollar buffer though. That's just my guess.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hopefully a PC will be mine sometime before next summer, not much point in getting it now as the ol' girl will be going away for a few months come October.
I did the clay bar today and it worked out great, unfortunatly my P21S wax hasn't arrived yet so I just put on a coat of some Gold Class I had. Turned out pretty good. I was just wondering how much spray you are supposed to use with the bar. I was putting down a fair amount of spray, and it seemed that the bar was gliding over the paint very easily. I'm not sure how much it was actually doing. I had to follow up with a wiping to get all the excess spray off. I just wanted to make sure this was the right procedure. Anyway, here are the results, take a peek if you like.
Peace.

Click Me for Pics
Beware it's stock

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
As long as the surface is polished rock smooth when you run your hand over it then the clay is doing its work. Something is wrong with the link though. Can't wait to see pics of your work.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the compliments guys
. It's nice to know an old stock RS can still get some love around here. And double thanks for not pointing out that I should lower it, I already know. I can't wait for my P21S wax to arrive, should look even better. That's why I took these pics; I wanted to see how Gold Class, a liquid wax, would compare to a high quality paste.

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
That definatly looks awesome! I'm getting some P21S as well. I hear that it ranks better than Blitz and Souveran so I'm pretty excited. Supposedly it is one of the very best paste waxes out there at any price. That looks really good. I don't care if it looks like it needs to be lowered. Mine does too. I'm glad that people have stopped telling me that it does though. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts