Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a new valve cover gasket sealed up with rtv but i really want to (re)paint my valve cover. Can I do that?

·
Administrator
3,779 Posts
I just got a new valve cover gasket sealed up with rtv but i really want to (re)paint my valve cover. Can I do that?
You shouldn't need any RTV on a valve cover gasket. They have their own seal. Remove the valve cover, and paint it.

·
Registered
422 Posts
You shouldn't need any RTV on a valve cover gasket. They have their own seal. Remove the valve cover, and paint it.
^ This ^
Just buy the kit, I can't remember how much it was, but it can't be any more than 30 bucks.
Do your homework before you paint it, otherwise it's gonna flake and look nasty in just a few weeks.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Helms calls for a dab of Honda bond on each of the corners surrounding the cams but that's it. Pull the cover

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
Don't ever try painting anything while it is still on the car. That is just a horrible way to do something. You need to remove the cover and prep it correctly before you paint it or else it will look even worse before you are done. If you aren't mechanically inclined enough to remove the valve cover and repaint it properly, then I can only imagine what it would look like if you left it on. Definitely stop your thought process now and start researching how to remove the valve cover and prep it for paint. You can still rattle can it and make it look good (as long as you use the right paint), but doing it while it is on the car is just lazy. Sorry if that offends. I'm just being honest.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Nope can't do it in the car!
Your gasket is fine. And yes there is a little bit of rtv on each side of the cams.
After it's off clean with degreaser & parts cleaning brush, wash with hot Dawn and water, rinse with hot water(5 gallons bucket), dry with 100 psi or hair dryer.
Next paint stripper on hot valve cover. Heat speeds up the process. Small wire brush, to get all the paint off. Clean it again!! And dry.
Next is the most important thing if you want the paint to stay on the aluminum. Self etching primer. This bonds to the metal and give a good surface for the paint. Color coat light coats at first stay 8" away and just mist the first coat. Look at the low hard to reach spots and mist these gently as the paint will run easily at these points.
Ok got 3-4 coats of color. Now it's time to add the shine and protection coats, clear it the same way. This will help keep oil and grease stains at bay.
Remember this is paint not powder coating it chips easily! But will be the thing that stands out the most when the hood is opened.
Have fun with it and change the color/design often to get better at the art of rattle can art.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts