Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read a couple of threads on watter wetter use but they all seem to say its a good product and i believe this but i had recently come across some info that water wetter contains borates and silicates which are bad for our hondas. any insights is there truth behind this, will using this with Honda Type 2 be a bad thing?
thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
I read an article on water wetter, and they claim its better than any 50/50 mix coolant but I havent ran it I prefer pure 50/50, I have a friend that runs it in a 350Z N he loves the stuff, Don't kno if this info helps.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I have heard the same thing I personally use Purple Ice its made by Royal Purple, But if you want that GO HERE

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
Water wetter doesnt offer freezing protection. It only offers corrosion protection and lubrication for the insides of your car. It also lowers the surface tension of water, so in extreme hotspots where water vapor sticks to metal parts and worsens cooling ability, water wetter allows those areas to bubble off and thus improves cooling ability.

Traditional coolant is WORSE at transferring heat than pure water. Pure water is best, but doesnt keep things from corroding and doesnt properly lubricate the water pump. Race car guys want the most effective heat transfer and use water+water wetter for its corrosion and lubrication properties plus its ability to stop hot spots from creating an insulating blanket of vapor in their race heads.

AGAIN, it doesn't affect freezing point or boiling point so you wouldnt want to use it alone if you are in a climate that freezes. It possibly will allow for more even cooling in extreme situations.

It also

wont lower your operating temperature because the thermostat keeps this steady.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I understand that there would pobably be no immediate problems like your motor blowing up or blowing lines or something, but these ingredients will wear on the system and reduce the coolants ability to resist corosion on internal parts (which obviously cant be seen) as well as break down seals faster (rubber) so im asking if adding this will increase wear or brake things down faster not that in a month after use you will be replacing seals and what not but reduce life of seals and what not, promote more corrosion.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Casey, I was looking to use with my Coolant system to increase heat transfer, but was going to use Type2 / wetter (not 50/50) just one bottle in system, but if this will have negative effects via silicates and what not i am not apt to use it.

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
JDMInline4 on Sep/27/07 said:
I understand that there would pobably be no immediate problems like your motor blowing up or blowing lines or something, but these ingredients will wear on the system and reduce the coolants ability to resist corosion on internal parts (which obviously cant be seen) as well as break down seals faster (rubber) so im asking if adding this will increase wear or brake things down faster not that in a month after use you will be replacing seals and what not but reduce life of seals and what not, promote more corrosion.

no. Not in any way that you will ever see. Its not like dumping sand into your coolant system.

Sorry, I was trying to answer everyones "whats water wetter" questions before they were asked and I forgot to answer your original question.

More info on water wetter

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh, well thanks Casey sometimes you have to take what you read on the interweb with a grain of salt i had heard on some other websites that these were harmful and using water wetter in a oem honda system would be in the long run harmful ;) you answered my question though, so thanks again.

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
JDMInline4 on Sep/27/07 said:
using water wetter in a oem honda system would be in the long run harmful ;) you answered my question though, so thanks again.
Long run as in like "longer than the expected life of the water pump" harmful, yes, but your water pump will die of natural causes much sooner than this.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks again Casey, one more question, i had a small leak in my system when i replaced the coolant tubing i lost some coolant and didnt have any type2 on hand and use crappy auto zone brand to make up the difference, should i flush my system and refill with type2 only and use the wetter? i ask becuase mixing some poor coolants with others can have slightly deminishing effects on the coolants abilites. what would you reccomend

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
rickeo on Sep/27/07 said:
Quote: TheJ0k3RnHisTeg on Sep/27/07whats water wetter?

Google is your friend.
So is Casey's post right below that question :p

Anyway, it doesn't matter what brand coolant you use. I got some explanation from the guy I know at the dealership about the differences and it was basically a very technical dealership response to make you want to buy their product. Sure, if your engine lives to be over 400K miles, there might be a slight difference in quality between OEM and AutoZone coolant, but you will not notice any difference with the cooling performance.

Its entirely safe to use autozone coolant, realistically you won't have the car long enough to notice any differences at all, if there even are any.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
MeltMan on Sep/27/07 said:
Honda type 2 is just ethylene glycol based coolant that they make look pretty blue.

mixing green ethylene glycol based coolant into it is fine.

Dont mix orange coolant into it. Thats GM stuff that will mess up your system.
What's in the orange coolant? Didn't realize GM had different coolant in addition to their ATF.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.