Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So there is definitley a leak in my teg and the water collects in the spare tire well...I think I have narrowed it down to the antenna opening. I just installed a shark attack antenna and it sealed it and all but the water just seems to keep getting in...

Anyone have any suggestions as to how to possibly seal it from the outside? Because I dont think I can get then antenna off since i thread locked it so it wouldnt loosen from the bass.I just got done fixing a leak in one of the seams a few weeks ago and thought the car was gonna be over this so I would really apprecaite some help and suggestions on this...

·
Registered
9,908 Posts
is all the weather stripping in tact on the hatch area?

have you tried clear silicome on the base of the shark antena? maybe remove it an apply a nice clean layer, and reinstall it and let it seal.

·
Registered
964 Posts
check your taillight bolts... are any missing? are they all tight.. do they still have the WASHERS?

i was careless and after swapping out tails a few times, i lost about ALL the bolts, along with the washers. and there was tons of water in the trunk. well i finally found out the taillight bolt size, M5 x .80 , and use washers

·
Registered
107 Posts
I would also check the air vent on the driverside, near the antenna. I also had leaks at the seam where the wheel well meet the rear quarter panel, there was a huge gap. I still get leaks i think. Good luck

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm 99% sure its from the antenna hole...I had a leak int he seam in the quarter panel as well and had that sealed again. It just seems as thought the base of the shark attack antenna doesnt fit flush and snug against the car so water is able to seep in...I thought I had selaed everything but is there anything I can do around the outside of the base that wouldnt look horrible to seal it better?

·
Registered
564 Posts
I just sealed my trunk up and am very successful.

Ill take some pictures for you after class today.

In the end there was 6 spots I sealed.
1 and 2) Both tail lights were taken out and resealed with clear silicon.
3 and 4) There was a hole about 6 inches below the taillight on the inside of the trunk. When you remove the taillight you see the holes clearly. I put duct tape on the outside and siliconed the inside. The duct tape was only to hold the silicon in place till it dried.
5) on the drivers side of the car, to the left of the taillight underneath the molding of the car. (you have to remove a bunch of plastic place holders and 2 bolts with a ratchet. It actually is directly behind the light in your trunk. once all is removed, you will see a flap with a vent that i believe leads to the spot above the tire where water will splash up. I decided I didnt need that, so I filled in the 3" x 4" gap with the silicon and duct tape over it (on the trunk side) to allow it to dry in place.
6) on the passenger side, opposite the number 5 problem, there is a pipe that runs from the sunroof to the back bumper (pretty close to the passenger taillight problem). I put some silicon all around the pip where it connected to the metal.

I completed the project the day of the rain storm in NY and NO water ended up in the trunk.

This was a big problem for me because it had ruined the sound system I originally put in the back.

To finalize the problem, i resealed the hole below the spare tire are well because Now since no water will be coming into the trunk there will be none leaving.

So far so good. and ill keep up updated when it rains again.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so I ws jsut htinking....when I put the shark attack in I noticed that I had to unplug a rubber hose that was attached to the stock antenna motor...that couldnt have anything to do with it could it?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
aziantegger10 on Feb/06/06 said:
yeah the rubber hose is probably a drain

ok its a drain....anyone know from where or for what? because no where in any installiation did it say to do anything with it...

·
Registered
495 Posts
lol I did not do all that work man....I had the same problem all i did was drill a few small holes in the spare tire area...pin size no bigger..... then it all just drains right back out of the car where it belongs had no problems since.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
99blknite on Feb/06/06 said:
lol I did not do all that work man....I had the same problem all i did was drill a few small holes in the spare tire area...pin size no bigger..... then it all just drains right back out of the car where it belongs had no problems since.
i was thinking of doing that but id rather just have the water stay out cause its killing the dynamat in my trunk... anybody know what that rubber hose is thats connected to the stock antenna?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hawaiiancb74 on Feb/06/06 said:
like clear yellowish
yeah that one...it just like popped out when i took the antenna motor out. and none of the threads here even mentioned it when they talked about the shark attack

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
well you have two clear yellowish ones, one both sides that go into a "L" piece for the moonroof drains, that tube that was on the stock motor goes i think right into the l piece also on the drivers side get a flashlight climb in and get to lookin around youll find out stuff the best that way right now my car had no.. none, zip interior, so if you need pictures hit me up. besides that take yer interior out everyonce and a while clean it up and tighten those bolts and screws that get lose and rattle. gives u an excuse to have plenty of room to get in there and work on the problem.

on edit since the shark attena doesnt really have a mast that has the ability to lead water inside the unit its doubt full that there is gona be a hose opening for the drain ide say yer best bet is to rework it make sure you have a clean contact area and put clear RTV silicone inbetween the base of the antenna and the car and make sure u put alot where the hole in the body is so that it fills everything up there...no gaps...make sure you have good contact and that the shark can not move (very important) if the shark can move later on it can cause leaks move being out of position.

·
Registered
689 Posts
recently looked around in my trunk for my water source, the moonroof drain tube on the pass side wasnt completely pushed in so i pushed it in all the way, went to the driver side and saw there was a Y connection, and one of the hoses was a smaller size for the oem antenna mast. dont think you need to worry about that one. just let it hang, i have the shark antenna and im positive the water in my wheel well was from the pass side tube. at least in my case.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.