Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I previously posted that my car was failing emissions. I’ve been searching around and found two web sites (including the one I got the motor from) stating that a jdm b16a either WoNT or MIGHT Pass emissions. I wish I would have seen that before I bought it.

Hmotors disclaimer ---

ARD performance (under will it pass smog)
So heres my update. I took the car in to a mechanic. My emissions reading were at least double the allowed limit. They replaced a few vacuum hoses and got the readings down a little. All sensors are functioning properly. They researched the engines specs and compared them to my stock ecu’s specs. The ecu is managing all the sensors properly but the fuel injectors aren’t turning off quick enough thus resulting in extra fuel being dumped.
I swapped in my stock injectors and had the car tested. Most readings dropped by 1/2. Cool but still not low enough.

My question is this. Has anyone ever gotten this engine to pass emissions with out paying the emissions tester off? Cause if it aint gonna ever work, Ill stop wasting money and sell the car. (Really dont wanna do that)

My readings:

First time:
Hydro carbon loaded:446, should be: 220
Hydro carbon idle719, should be: 220
Carbon monoxide load.6.01, should be:1.20
Carbon monoxide idle8.44, should be: 1.20

stock injectors:
Hydro carbon loaded:262, should be: 220
Hydro carbon idle594, should be: 220
Carbon monoxide load. 4.76, should be: 1.20
Carbon monoxide idle4.26 , should be: 1.20

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
You are soo close. I would advise getting the proper ECU and advancing timing to 18 BTDC if its not already.

Warm the car up by mashing the throttle up and down the street a few times before testing it.

If its all stock, there is no reason why it will fail. The problem with JDM motors is that their ECU is tuned differently because of the fuel they use. I did a swap on my wife's old civic with an stock motor and I had to use all USDM parts in order for it to work.

Besides that, I would just do the basic tuneup with proper spark plugs, cap and rotor, plug wires (I have seen problems in the past with a few JDM and USDM motors), etc.

Good luck.

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
Advance timing helps with the idle. When idle is failing more than when its loaded, you need to advance it more.

Since you are not passing already, yo umigt want to experiment on what works best for your car. Whats the timing set at anyways?

Whatever it is, I wouldn't give up since you are pretty close to borderline of passing. Keep working with it to make it pass.

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
integra366 on Feb/24/04 said:
mount dual cats?
There's no use in a second cat if the first one is functioning properly. If push comes to shove, and there is no sucess, you could possibly try a new cat and o2 sensor. Although I doubt this, use it as a last resort.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
sak on Feb/24/04 said:
You are soo close. I would advise getting the proper ECU and advancing timing to 18 BTDC if its not already.

Warm the car up by mashing the throttle up and down the street a few times before testing it.

If its all stock, there is no reason why it will fail. The problem with JDM motors is that their ECU is tuned differently because of the fuel they use. I did a swap on my wife's old civic with an stock motor and I had to use all USDM parts in order for it to work.

Besides that, I would just do the basic tuneup with proper spark plugs, cap and rotor, plug wires (I have seen problems in the past with a few JDM and USDM motors), etc.

Good luck.
So you think theres still hope eh? Well thats the first positive thing I’ve heard on this topic. Its going into the shop tomorrow morn. I’ll tell the mechanic what you said about timing. It has new plugs, wires, and cap. I’ll report back with updates. thanks for the help

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh yeah, I am using the exhaust header from the b18 motor. For one, I didnt have the cash to get the exhaust modified to fit the new header, and second I figured the stock ecu would need just one o2 sensor. Since the b16a header has two, I didnt know which to hook up and which not to. So maybe that is causing a prob?

Also my mechanic suggested changing the oil and filter since it had been running so rich. Would that affect emissions readings? And if so, how? I cant quite figure that one out.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Well it depends on the state where you have emissions. When they run smog checks ehre in california they require the car be hooked into a computer. And unfortunately the computer reads USDM ECU's only. and the ECU must indefinitely match the motor and so does the OBD and etc...

The problem I ran into here in California is the fact that when we went to get smogged, they couldnt run the test because the Engine block and ECU were invalid in the smog databases. The only way to pass emissions with the JDM b16 is to get a Del Sol Dohc Vtec ECU or a 99 Si Ecu....

run into a whole new set of problems:
1. Del Sol ECU is hard to find. but its obd-1
2. 99 Si is plentiful. but its obd-2 which blows ass. plus you need the wiring harness...

i decided not to do it ebcause in my area we have yearly smog checks..

·
Registered
47 Posts
im dumb. i'll post again. i suggest using g2p, a fuel additive you can get from your local parts store. its like 11 bucks, it was worth it because i was having a hard time passing my 193k mile'd b18a motor. HTH bud.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I would question your cat, except you said you are running rich, get it tuned up right so you are not running rich and add a bottle of dry gas to half a tank and go out and drive hard for about 1/4 tank of gas then bring it right in while its still hot. I used to test cars and people would fail, throw in some dry gas run it up the highway for a couple exits and come back and they would pass. Dont give up.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
well, mechanic re-tested everything. All sensors are working. Although he noticed that the o2 sensor would only go into closed loop mode if he fiddled with the throttle. He had to rev it a few times before it would close. when the throttle was closed the o2 sensor would function properly and go to open loop, but it never quite closes upon acceleration. only thing he can figure is that maybe my current ecu is flaking a bit. Either way I’m getting the correct ecu and hopefully be done with it. I’ll write back in a couple weeks with updates.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.