Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometime soon I plan on geting new preformance rods and pistons on my 1995 RS. Since Im geting these new items would it be ok to raise my red line? I was thinking around 8,000 sounded good. Are there other parts that one should get if you want to do all this. I heard someguy said that an RS head cant handle valves going 8,000 rpms up and down in it.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
8k doesn't sound good with the b18b's rod ratio... same reason people on here get a stern talking to on their ls/vtecs and redline them that high

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I rev my lsvtec setup to 8000 when I race, my bottom end is fully built along with the valve train and blockguard, but it still worries me; mostly because of the known oil flow defficiencies, considering the absent oil squirters in b18a and b blocks.

·
Registered
711 Posts
its not worth it... b/c your car won't even produce power any more.. unless you get camshafts... and you have an rs... i say just go with a swap...

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Depending on what your goals are, you have to either raise compression and get some cams if your going to get any power in that high rpm range; or you could lower compression and go the forced induction route in the near future...

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
I agree with sleeper. You need to be making power along that rpm range if there is going to be any point in raising the redline.

Why would you want to raise your redline if you don't have the requirements? We must get this once a week.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
your valves cant handle that, get gsr valves or some good performance valves now so u wont have to get them later.

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
it's not the valves...it's the valvesprings that he should concerned with....valve float and coil binding is what causes piston to valve slap at higher rpms...the only time the valve comes into play is if he has oversized valves.

1.54 rod ratio can handle 8K. I personally wouldn't go any higher than that for reliability reasons but that's just me. check your oil level weekly as if your life depended on it.

the previous statemnet about not making power at the higher rpms if you have not changed the cams is true. you are just wasting time on the 1/4 mile staying o a part of the powerband that is decreasing...you only gain time if you are thrusting forward from power that is at peak or near peak.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts