Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2000 gs-r has been acting up since i bought it 3 months ago. I got it incredibly cheap because the owner couldnt figure out what was wrong. It had every driveability issue known to man but only after it fully warmed up and only below vtec engagement rpm at 4400. Lack of power, hesitation, bucking, misfiring, stalling at low rpm around 700-1000. I don't really have expenses so i started replacing everything on the car that would cause this. Full fuel system fuel pump, filter, fuel pressure regulator, rail, and injectors. entire ignition system dizzy, plugs, wires, new ngk high output coil, and even the ignition switch which supplies the dizzy power. from there i replaced every sensor and still intermittently the car would act up and gradually get worse so i went out and bought a ecu for it. the ecu seemed to fix the issue for about a week when the issue came back. i was sitting in a burger king drive through and the idle dropped followed by every issue on the list. i couldnt for the life of me figure out what was wrong until i happened upon a post on SuperHonda about a 07 TSX with similar problems. Turns out that this tech found that the TSX had a stuck open vtec solenoid which he cleaned and fixed the problem. After reading this i had a theory so i went out and drove my teg until it started acting up. Once it did i pulled over and disconnected the vtec solenoid connector. I drove it and it ran perfect so i again pulled over and reconnected the solenoid. The idle immediately dropped when connected and so i knew i had found the culprit. To fix the issue i simply removed the 3 10mm bolts holding the solenoid onto the spool valve. I took 2 pieces of wire, one with 2 alligator clips on each end. I took the alligator clipped on and connected one side to the chassis and the other to the side of the solenoid. The other wire i wrapped around the pos battery post and repeatedly touched the other end to the vtec solenoid pin. It would open maybe once every couple of touches so i decided to try and clean it. I had a coworker come over and sit there repeatedly connecting the solenoid to power while i held the can of brake clean to it and sprayed away. After this i sprayed it out with some compressed air and then squirted some oil through it and again connected it to power to rinse it. After all of this the car has never ran better while in my possession. Im sharing this to maybe help someone. I have read more than a few posts saying this isnt possible or that vtec cannot engage at a lower rpm. Well it might not engage but my theory is that if the ecu sees oil pressure at the vtec oil pressure sensor then it throws off how the ecu tells the car to run. If anyone finds they have a similar issue go ahead and try disconnecting the vtec solenoid and see if it helps you. Goodluck fellow honda addicts.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts