Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Tuan, how are things? I was flippin through all of my notes, etc. today and I noticed that on your setup you have stainless steel VTEC locking pins. What is the purpose of this?

I'm guessing longevity and stability on high rpms...but I don't even know what the OEM b18c1 locking pins are made of. Any pointers?

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
valvetrain weight...not a high priority item...doesn't gain you much...nitride coated ones are the way to go since you have wear issues between harder stainless steel and aluminum alloy rockers. You don't need them to be honest. a better bang for the buck item on valvetrain weight are ti retainers. ti retainers give you about 200-300 rpm more on the redline but again, the ones you choose and how they are pressed in is critical. I've seen improperly installed retainers and the results (piston slap from a collapsed valve) are not pretty.

Portflows are about midrange in weight. Endyn's are the lightest. DPR and Crower are a little heavier than Portflow's and on the higher end. You'll find posts on the web about people dissing Crower retainers. Crower had a problem when their retainers first came out not meeting the correct installed height for Bseries engines and people having to machine down their retainers to fit properly. That's old news. They've corrected that a long time ago and so if these keep on popping up, then the person is just parroting an old post not having a clue of what they are saying.

I would nitride coat any ti retainer to prevent valvespring galling. Adds a bit of weight to it but the benefit outweighs the downside.

Now I've gotten your locking pin post into a retainer post..oops. my bad.

moderator, lock this post down!!!

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
HA HA you said moderator! which one are you referring to?

nitride coating various items... what kind of equipment would a shop need? or could we brew up a batch in out garage using some chemicals and electricity, anodizing it on? DIY!DIY!

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Damn you, Tuan, you smart ass!!! Thanks man, I was just wondering. I was like," the pins aren't that big are they? This is nuts. Ask Tuan, he did it. Did you fall prey to the hype (*sarcastically said*)?? That would be a first. Installing new VTEC locking pins b/c somebody told you they free up hp!! HA HA HA!!!

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wish I could do that. I guess I need to hold on until I graduate high school, major in mechanical engineering and get a better job, eh? Nah. I'm hardcore.

·
Registered
162 Posts
how long did it take you to wear out racker arms? geez. aren't those things suppsed to last for 100,000 miles even on an ITR?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts