Team Integra Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I just bought a 95 GSR and I've read that the Vtec engangement is at 4400RPM, but it feels like it engages somewhere around 5700RPM. Is this normal for a stock GSR. The engagement just feels so subtle, I sometimes wonder if this is normal. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
you're probably hearing the 2nd stage intake engage... I mistook that for the VTEC engagement on my car when I first got it.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Your car is pretty old and your probably the second owner. You might want to consider having the engine serviced and clean properly. This way you'll know at least their aren't engine problems then you could run vtec w/ your gsr. If this doesn't solve the problem then your ecu must be screwy. Might want to check and see if anything is wrong with the ecu since that's what controls when the vtec kicks in. Goodluck

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've checked over the motor. I've replaced everything as far as a major tune up is concerned ie. plugs, cap, rotor, wires, all filters, etc... Thanks for the suggestions...

·
Registered
897 Posts
like he said, vtec engages at 4400, but on gsr's you generally won't hear it, or feel it much until 5800 without i/h/e.

·
Registered
318 Posts
on mine 95 gsr, you can hear and feel it, pay close attention to the noise at 4400, prefer do it with windows up, you must be able to hear it.take a look at your rpm meter too when you reach 4400 rpm.

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
You do not hear vtec engagement, nor do you feel it. VTEC is very smooth in a GSR due to the dual intake manifold, please don't say you feel/hear it.

There are so many things that factor into when VTEC engages, read SurferX's article entitled "All About VTEC."

And if you'd like to truly know when your VTEC kicks in and you don't want to depend on your butt or ears, get a VTEC indicator light.

·
Registered
29 Posts
after i installed my vtec light it comes on at either 4400, 4500 0r 4600 so i'd suspect the meters arent that accurate?

and u can hear the vtec better during the 2nd stage intake if u use 96 octane here in new zealand :) too bad u still can really feel it

edit:too bad u still can't really feel it

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
VTEC does not come on at the same time every time it engages. Like I said, it depends on a lot of factors as to when VTEC begins. If you're not at WOT, count on VTEC opening "late."

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Justin Klemgold on Aug/03/02 said:
You do not hear vtec engagement, nor do you feel it. VTEC is very smooth in a GSR due to the dual intake manifold, please don't say you feel/hear it.

There are so many things that factor into when VTEC engages, read SurferX's article entitled "All About VTEC."

And if you'd like to truly know when your VTEC kicks in and you don't want to depend on your butt or ears, get a VTEC indicator light.
try getting a CAI and say that you can't hear vtec kick in. with my aem, you could distinctively hear 4400 rpm vtec, and then the 5800 rpm secondary runners. and somebody with a good hear could possible pick up both while still stock.

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
feijay on Aug/03/02 said:
anyways if u guys really wanna feel and hear vtec i suggest u go for a ride in a ITR or CTR
I agree, since the ITR has a single stage intake, you just hear the engadgement. It's a subtle tone change with stock, I never rode in a ITR with a CAI.

·
Registered
645 Posts
well my lsvtec engages at 4500 but thats because i have a chip ecu, and a apex'i v-afc wich can let you change the vtec point, but my its pretty similar to the itr it sounds pretty lound when it changes from low to hi cam.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have to say I disagree with those who say you won't notice a difference when vtec hits.
half pedal at 4500rpm I notice a change In sound and torque. I really notice it when going up hill..
but if I'm full throttle.. it's too smoth of a transition.. you only really notice the 2nd intake runners open up.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have to say I disagree with those who say you won't notice a difference when vtec hits.
half pedal at 4500rpm I notice a change In sound and torque. I really notice it when going up hill..
but if I'm full throttle.. it's too smoth of a transition.. you only really notice the 2nd intake runners open up.
Same thing.

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
We brought back an 11 year old thread to say that?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.