Team Integra Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope this is in the right forum... didn't know where to put it... because it doesn't deal directly with Integra (you'll read in a sec). Anyways, any mod's feel free to move/change name of this thread if I posted wrong! Thanks. :)

Anyways, I have a friend with a 98+ accord coupe EX. It is an auto, NOT a 5 speed. Anyways, we were talking (and I have no idea since I drive an LS teg w/o vtec) but if he was reving in neutral, would vtec still engage at the given RPM (not sure for accord) or does vtec only engage while in gear (D4 or D3). Just curious.

I would imagine vtec would still occur say in a GSR if you had the clutch in and not in gear, am I right? didn't know if the same would apply to his auto accord.

Well, sorry for the dumb post, I just don't know much about all that since I got an LS. Thanks guys.

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
Nope you are not right...no VTEC in neutral...

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Okay so it wasn't the most useful of questions.
I'm sure he already knew that.

But cut him some slack. For conversation's sake i'm sure it was perfectly viable.

I'm sure many of us were curious to know too.

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
I am kinda curious myself, obviously it's useless even if it does.. but from a technical aspect to better know honda engines it is worth finding out.

·
Registered
708 Posts
dont you have to be going over 20 mph?? i read that somehwere....

·
Registered
395 Posts
If the car is moving and then you step on the clutch or put the gear into neutral and rev, the vtec does engage at the given rpm. i confirmed this because my vtec light does turn on. if the car is not moving, then the vtec does not engage.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Vtec makes sound,ever stand outside of a GSR or other "performance" model Vtec and listen to it when it hits about 5k,it sounds more mechanical, and really cool with IHE. My buddy has a 2000 GSR and you can tell when its under Vtec and when its not by the sound. Granted its nothing loud but if you listen carefully enough you'll hear it. However, I doubt you can hear it in an accord,the Vtec is less agressive I believe on more family oriented cars such as Accords. But hey I could be wrong.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Yeah, people say you can't hear vtec.
And they're right, in a sense that you can't actually hear the cam engaging & timing change.

But i always thought the dramatic change in exhaust tone & pitch (higher/louder) at a certain rpm was an indication.

·
Registered
395 Posts
just like innoculance said, the sound that you really hear are the secondary runners. the engagement is usually very smooth and quiet.

·
Registered
374 Posts
It's not a useless question, I was actually pondering that the other day. And about hearing VTEC, I don't know about a GSR, cause inside it sounds alot different than outside, but from seeing a Type R/Prelude/Civic Si pound by, you def. can. It goes from like, the normal pitch to a high pitched whir/scream combo.

·
Registered
35,673 Posts
InOcULaNcE on Aug/21/02 said:
the change in tone that you hear at around 5k rpm is the secondaries in the exhaust manifold (alteast in a gsr) kicking in.
5750rpm actually. There is a slight change in the sound of the engine at 4400rpm when the VTEC system changes to the other cams. But it won't be some loud obnoxious engine change.

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
TheGSRGuy on Aug/22/02 said:
But it won't be some loud obnoxious engine change.
Loud? Obnoxious? I'm sorry????

·
Registered
64 Posts
Delaney gets mad when you say you can hear vtec engage, plus the sound you hear at 5000-5750 rpm wouldnt be the vtec engaging since it does that at 4400. Any engine is going to make a different sound at that high of an rpm I would think, vtec or not.

·
Registered
136 Posts
sorry to inform you all but here is the answer to the question: Yes vtec engages whether or not ur driving, if it's running at normal operating temp, have good oil pressure, and correct throttle position when u rev, u can rev in a parking lot and when u hit id say 4500 rpms not to be exact but the engine noise will will change lightly at stage 1 vtec, then at about 5500 rpms the stage 2 vtec will kick in and thats when u really hear the engines vtec potential that its meant to make. Try it! You can really get exact numbers if ur driving; drive through 1st and second gear shifting at about 3 each time, then when u shift into third slam the gas down rev to like 7500 or whateva 8, 8.5 whateva u got! Youll notice the changes in engine sounds this way really easy. This apply's only to vtec engines, vtec really isnt that difficult to understand! When u get it tuned u just set it where power is needed and it serves as an extra boost at that destination. Ur welcome!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.