Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend who wants to sell me a Garret T3 turbo that was taken off a jetta vr6. He says it will fit my car? will it fit my 96 ls and is it a good idea??

·
Registered
47 Posts
Why did he take it off in the first place?

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
and vr6's don't have turbo, do they?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He swapped it with something else I dunno he just called and asked if I wanted it for a real good $$$ and that it would probably work with my teg or anything 4 cyl

·
Registered
561 Posts
The turbo it self will fit no problem wouldnt it? You just have to get the proper componets for a t3. Make sure its a t3 too, dont just take his word on it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So the deal is, is I get a garrett t3 turbo for $200 thats it. Why are they so inexspensive and what else am I goin to need to install it???

·
Registered
470 Posts
bro are u serious, what else are u going to need??? a turbo manifold, a wastegate, downpipe, injectors, sh*t man u r gonna need a lot. lines, hoses, and i havent brought up an intercooler or piping yet.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
boobstar on Aug/29/02 said:
bro are u serious, what else are u going to need??? a turbo manifold, a wastegate, downpipe, injectors, sh*t man u r gonna need a lot. lines, hoses, and i havent brought up an intercooler or piping yet.
yes he is serious, it was a very legitimate question and i really dont see any need to be rude to someone who is asking a good question. hell thats what this site is about, asking questions about things you dont know and having people answer them.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
the t3 will fit if you buy all the other parts. the vr6 doesn't have a stock turbo, so this was also a custom project on that car.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Yes the turbine your buddy is selling you will fit your car. IMO, $200 for just the turbine is a deal. Obviously, you should check the turbine for damage, but if it spins right and the bearings are OK, i say go for it. As it was mentioned before, you'll need way more then just the "snail" to complete your setup. I suggest you read up on the turbo articles.

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
Yep, everyone is correct. The VR6 doesn't come with a turbo. It's most likely off a 1.8T if anything.

·
Registered
1 Posts
That t3 isnt from a 1.8T it uses a k03 turbo
And the VR is a N/A engine, mind you a VR6t is sickening, it pushes near 300whp

·
Registered
132 Posts
i would get it from him. you can peice a kit together for less than a G. if your worried about parts like a intercooler go to a junk yard. they have plenty of saab 900's and dsm's to grab a sidemount from. if not i'll buy it from your friend.
but it's a good deal i would go with it.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Malaya on Oct/27/03 said:
i would get it from him. you can peice a kit together for less than a G. if your worried about parts like a intercooler go to a junk yard. they have plenty of saab 900's and dsm's to grab a sidemount from. if not i'll buy it from your friend.
but it's a good deal i would go with it.
I would never try to build my own turbo setup for less than a "G". I mean your EMS alone should be $500+. Cheaping out on a turbo setup is not always the best idea. Most people who do, buy a crappy fuel setup and end up blowing up their engines. I could see putting $1,000 into a fuel setup but not a complete turbo kit. You get what you pay for.

Also building your own setup is a long process. Don't expect to go to a junkyard with a "G" in hand and expect to come out with a full turbo kit.

·
Registered
5 Posts
"I would never try to build my own turbo setup for less than a "G". I mean your EMS alone should be $500+. Cheaping out on a turbo setup is not always the best idea. Most people who do, buy a crappy fuel setup and end up blowing up their engines. I could see putting $1,000 into a fuel setup but not a complete turbo kit. You get what you pay for.

Also building your own setup is a long process. Don't expect to go to a junkyard with a "G" in hand and expect to come out with a full turbo kit."

Depends if you know what you are doing, I built my own turbo kit for about 1000 with almost all brand new parts except the I/C, but I got new turbo, new manifold, new piping, bov, fuel rail, fuel pump etc...i later bought a I/C off a crashed SAAB for 150 he only had 10K on his car so not a bad deal and then bouight injectors etc..all in all it came out just a tad cheaper than buying a kit, but only advantage to people who piece together kits I think are 2 major things,

1) we like certain parts in particular and thats why we piece it together

2) not all of us have 2-3K to just toss down for a kit, some of us dont mind waiting 2-6 or more months to piece together a kit as long as it gets done eventually...

but yeah buying a kit if u have no idea wat ur doing might be a good idea

1 - 20 of 20 Posts