Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For street use and track, which one would you pick and why?

Option 1: Neuspeed Sport with Koni Red
Option 2: Neuspeed Race with Koni Red
Option 3: Skunk2 with Koni Red
Option 4: Other (please specify)

EDIT:
price range: $400 - $700.
racing: autocross/road

·
Registered
919 Posts
There's a few variables which are going to make a big difference in your selection.. big ones being budget and expected ride quality.

Personally, for a moderately priced streetable track setup I would get a custom set of Ground Control coilovers in the 400-600lb range, and run them on Koni Neuspeed Yellows. For a setup like that you would be looking at approximately $1000 with camber kits, minus installation labor. It's pretty much as aggressive as you can get without getting into a full coilover setup which gets very expensive quickly.

If you reply back with more specifics such as price range, what kind of racing, etc we will be able to help you out much more if that isn't what you're looking for.

·
Registered
874 Posts
I'm pretty much in the same situation.

Option 1: Neuspeed Sport with Koni Red
Koni Red = Good shock
Neuspeed sport...drop is nice...not quite stiff enough.

Option 2: Neuspeed Race with Koni Red
Sweet setup that will last for a year or two...but only a year or two before the shocks eventually wear. Koni Reds are great, but just cant support that low of a drop with that high of spring rates for long enough.

Option 3: Skunk2 with Koni Red
Eeek no. Skunk2 coilovers have such stiff spring rates...you'll blow the Reds if you lower as far as you'll be tempted to.

Option 4: What I'm buying.
H&R SPORT with Koni Reds
H&R Sports give the same drop as neuspeed sports, but have higher spring rates that give a stiffer ride and reduce understeer (rear spring rate is equal to front spring rate). The drop and spring rates however are not so severe that the shock is at a real risk of blowing.

Of course, Koni yellows and Neuspeed/Koni's would allow for lower drops and a stiffer ride. If I had the money to afford these...I would go with Ground control coilovers and either Neuspeed or H&R Race springs.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
4,058 Posts
for 700 id go koni yellow and neuspeed race or sport depending on the drop you want. or id try and find a little extra money and go koni yellow and ground control.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ground Control Adjustable Springs Limited Edition - $285
Ground Control Adjustable Springs - $335

which one are you commending and the difference?

·
Registered
535 Posts
this has been asked before, and im pretty sure GC responded that they are technically the same, except they have a limited amount of Limited editions, and that they are more adjustable?

edit: maybe someone can find the previous post.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
dexmix on Feb/02/04 said:
this has been asked before, and im pretty sure GC responded that they are technically the same, except they have a limited amount of Limited editions, and that they are more adjustable?

edit: maybe someone can find the previous post.
I've already looked for the previous post, but no luck, sorry. As for the LE, if they are more adjustable wouldn't they make em more expensive? that's kinda strange... Actually I just recently read that the SE version doesn't support Koni shocks... Anyways, getting back to the originial topic... which would you go for?

·
Registered
414 Posts
I say Eibach Pro-Street with Koni Reds
or H&R Sport with Koni Reds
Coilover sleeves in my opinion arn't worth it, and the temptation to lower your car will blow the shocks. If you have enough money I would get maybe a step up on the shocks.

·
Registered
975 Posts
RO_JA23 on Feb/02/04 said:
well my soon to be setup is going to be skunk2's with illuminas, is there anything wrong with that
hey i got that setup and i love it

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've actually heard a few complaints about the SKunk2s being too stiff... I guess it depends on where you live and what one would consider "stiff"... any other toughts?

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Because you are factoring price, are you going to be installing this yourself? Because that could determine whether you get a more expensive set up or a cheaper one. See if you could get Koni Yellows. By buying the shocks and springs seperately, you may have time in between to save a little more money and do it right the first time.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
midwesta on Feb/01/04 said:
for 700 id go koni yellow and neuspeed race or sport depending on the drop you want. or id try and find a little extra money and go koni yellow and ground control.
I mean seriously if you get 4 aftermarket struts and some springs your total is gonna be at least 450- 500, save your money add 200 to 300 to that and have the better parts.Why skimpout on your suspenion but have a 300 hp beast? And yes you need a camberkit.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
In reply to the budget issue... the price range is for SPRINGS/COILVERS and STRUTS/SHOCKS only... everything else I have already taken installation, bushings, alighnment into consideration.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
I hear you man, im on a tight budget too,but if you plan to go racing dont cheat yourself out of the performance of a better part, im not going to name any parts but at the high end of your spectrum in your first post theres a couple nice setups id run with for 700. ok i'll say a name.. for 700 you could get the koni yellows and buy some lowwering springs on ebay or even ti, i repeatedly keep seeing nuspeed or h&r race springs for 85 bucks maybe its just me, bam you got nice drop,tite springrate,and what seems like the best strut???

A step further ..revalve the koni and buy custom srpings latter??????

·
Registered
919 Posts
You should be able to get a set of H&R Sport springs and Neuspeed Koni Yellows for under $700.

Matched with those struts, the H&R's should actually do really well in a race condition even though they are a little soft. They are progressive, so the ride on the street isn't very bad (I have them on my car). I think that's about the best performance you're going to get with that budget, plus there is always the option to upgrade springs later on for higher performance.

The Neuspeed Koni's can handle most any spring made for the car, and they are rebuildable/revalvable as well.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have adj illumina tokicos with VIS spec II coilover on my gsr and i have no problems ever since. I like TEIN coilover setup but its expensive

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
After reviewing all the comments and sugguestions, I think NorCalGSR came up with the best solution. Everyone can agree that the Koni Yellows are one of the best shocks around. If I wanted to go cheap, that would NOT be the place to do it.

As for the spring, I think that coilvers are not needed because they do not effect ride quality and handling to a large extent. With some discussion with StyleTeg and a few others, I have learned that a equal spring rate in the front and back help to decrease the understeer that we so often see in our tegs. For ride quality, the spring rate should not be too high and the spring should be of a progressive design. The spring that best fits this criteria is the H&R sport springs. They provide a spring rate of 276/276 with a 1.75" drop in the front and a 1.50" drip in the rear.

So there we have it... an awsome setup that leaves space to improve, gives good ride quality, good handling, and can be found for under $700. Thanks to all who commented.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts