Team Integra Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vortech Superchargers

3K views 59 replies 18 participants last post by  mugengsr 
#1 ·
I've been thinking about going FI on my Type R for some time, I've been considering the Vortech setup with the chargecooler but was wondering what other peoples experiances were with this setup?

#6 ·
TypeR03260 on Feb/21/04 said:
Just found a bit more, looks like maybe not the vortech then.

I'm looking at getting my car into the low 13s, I run 14.6 stock and don't want to have to build the motor. What do people recommend as my best FI route?

Quote: JustTegIt on Feb/21/04 search
Pretty much sums it up. Since you don't have any goals in mind other than "I have a type R, I want to go fast" we really can't be of assistance. You don't tell us your budget, your preference on powerband location and all the good stuff we need to help.

So read up. Lots of stuff out there.

#7 ·
This forum is such a nightmare for giving crappy answers like that.

Budget wise I will spend what I need to in order to get the job done right.

Powerband I would have thought was obvious, an 'R' is geared for 5700-8400Rpm.

The car gets used for autoX, drag strip runs and the odd run to work. I want to get 13's compared to my 14.6 and want enough power for me to achieve that. (230-250 whp?)

#10 ·
TypeR03260 on Feb/21/04 said:
Budget wise I will spend what I need to in order to get the job done right.

Get the job done right? With F/I, you want to build it up then.

Powerband? Oh it's so obvious that's where you wanted your powerband, especially since you picked a supercharger.

Again, I suggest you read the articles and search and read prior threads. There isn't going to be any spoonfeeding here like you're obviously used to. Sorry man.

#12 ·
JustinKlemgold on Feb/21/04 said:
Quote: TypeR03260 on Feb/21/04Budget wise I will spend what I need to in order to get the job done right.
Get the job done right? With F/I, you want to build it up then.

Powerband? Oh it's so obvious that's where you wanted your powerband, especially since you picked a supercharger.

Again, I suggest you read the articles and search and read prior threads. There isn't going to be any spoonfeeding here like you're obviously used to. Sorry man.
I don't want to build it up, the b18 is perfectly capable of holding the power I want to achieve in it's stock form, i'll be AEM EMS so the tune can be spot on.

The powerband of a supercharger isn't fixed by anymeans (especially if you get a centri. charger)

I have read every article on this site (I've been a member for 3 years, just changed my login name due to change in car) I used to run a small tuning company and now work for Honda as a staff engineer. I don't want spoonfeeding just some discussion. Isn't that why this forum exists?

#14 ·
"The powerband of a supercharger isn't fixed by anymeans (especially if you get a centri. charger)"

Ok, so which threads have you looked at? If you've seen these threads about the Vortech, you would know it's not for you...in which case a JRSC would be a much better fit...If you tuned it on 6 psi, you could easily reach your goal.

#16 ·
I've got all of the info but not evrything can be summed up in peoples posts, there times when it is better to talk about things.

I am perfectly capable of going away not listening to a word you say and building a 600Whp B18 and running 10's, that isn't the plan however and I just wanted other peoples ideas of a good alternative to the product I had mentioned. (I was on the Civic Type R production project BTW and prob know more about Honda 4 Cyl engines than most people on here
)

#17 ·
JustinKlemgold on Feb/21/04 said:
"The powerband of a supercharger isn't fixed by anymeans (especially if you get a centri. charger)"

Ok, so which threads have you looked at? If you've seen these threads about the Vortech, you would know it's not for you...in which case a JRSC would be a much better fit...If you tuned it on 6 psi, you could easily reach your goal.
I said way above that the info I now had was that the Voretch was a numbers only setup.

Downside to the JRSC is the difficulty in cooling the charge a decent amount after it has been compressed.

#18 ·
DaBoyNBlu on Feb/21/04 said:
you work at honda but are going to tune with an aem ems? like the aem ems is any better at being anything other than a pain in the ass.

um... ok.

good luck with that.
Honda buy ECU modules from a supplier with the data all ready coded except for the VIN number writing, the software is specifiead and written in Japan, it would be so much hassle to get a unique ECU coded it is easier by far for me to go standalone.

#21 ·
TypeR03260 on Feb/20/04 said:
This forum is such a nightmare for giving crappy answers like that.
You're all over the place thats why its hard for you to get some info.

Quote: TypeR03260 on Feb/20/04 Budget wise I will spend what I need to in order to get the job done right.

Just because 5700-8400rpm is where VTEC is on the ITR doesn't necessarily mean thats where its powerband is. Mosy of the time it doesn't go to redline.

Quote: TypeR03260 on Feb/20/04 The car gets used for autoX, drag strip runs and the odd run to work. I want to get 13's compared to my 14.6 and want enough power for me to achieve that. (230-250 whp?)
Ok, so basically what you are saying is that your budget is "Money is no object to get it done."

Think Centrifugal and all these types of racing that you listed?

I'm confident that you can do it. In fact, Even a few SI's have been able to pull 10psi on the Vortech. In the meantime...

Shall I keep going? All those dynos were found on Club SI and they are all of VSC. BTW, where is the powerband on a VSC?

#22 ·
sak on Feb/21/04 said:
Just because 5700-8400rpm is where VTEC is on the ITR doesn't necessarily mean thats where its powerband is. Mosy of the time it doesn't go to redline.
If i'm at the track then I never fall below about 5K unless it is to launch. The Type R ratios are perfect you can go 0-158Mph (verified
)never drop out of Vtec

#24 ·
If i'm at the track then I never fall below about 5K unless it is to launch. The Type R ratios are perfect you can go 0-158Mph (verified
)never drop out of Vtec
You're right, but that doesn't mean its the powerband.

#25 ·
Thanks for the reply btw, at least soemone wants to be helpfull.
The problem with the VSC and TI is that it doesn't really fit anywhere with our concepts. Don't take it too seriously, especially the VSC owners.

We often think package, powerband, budget, etc. When we look at the VSC, its unusual, peaky, but reasonably priced and also gives the option of an aftercooler.

Why is it unusual? Centrifugals are basically a turbine (turbo) driven by a belt to act as a supercharger. It tries to get the best of both worlds, but in a sense, does it at a cost. Just look at the dyno's. There not really a point where you can call a powerband because the torque curve keeps increasing.

People like the roots type SC because its nice and flat (look for DaBoyNBlu's dyno's). And people like Turbo's because the sky's the limit as well as a very good top end.

So basically you either do one or the other, not whats in between like the VSC. I'm not bashing on the VSC, but just pointing out what it does compared to the other options of FI.

If the VSC is what you want and you think it'll satisfy you, go for it. I feel bad for saying this since we tend to try to give the best info we can around here, but ClubSI may have more info/resources for you if you want to go the VSC route.

There's just more people who use it on there and have more experiences with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.