Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
I'm wondering if installing this alarm (791x) is "do-able" by someone with no experience (me) because I have the full installation guide from Directed Electronics, or should I leave it to professionals? Im willing to spend as much time as it takes, but could I do irreperable damage to the car or the alarm? What kind of price should I expect for installation with all the features that come available with this alarm. Also it says that the auto start feature is for Auto's only, but I read threads that said it could be modified to work with 5spd's too. Any help anyone could provide me with related to this would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have experience with car audio and electronics and still leave it up to professionals. Very difficult. I dont know where you live, but in So Cal it costs 150 for install. I highly recommend getting it professionally done.

·
Registered
512 Posts
where did you get that alarm? if you bough it at the store, then the amount you paid usually includes install. also installing an alarm system takes a couple of hours even with a professional doing it.

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
contrary to the advice above, I wil say that it can be doen by yourself if you take your time and are careful. there is plenty of info available here, as well as people to help out with extensive knowledge. i did this install as my first alarm install (well, an RSX 3.5 by Clifford but its the same alarm)

that being said, i definately DO NOT condone installing a remote start on a manual that is not designed FOR manuals...you can get neutral safety switches tat will work with any remote start, so if i were you i would spend some money on a neutral safety switch that you saved on installing yourself.

a note about installing yourself: be preparedto spend between 10-20 hours installing this if you have no experience at all....

the time it will take depends alot on how well you do the install. remeber, an alarm is only as secure as how well it is installed. by that i mean how well the brain is hidden, how well integrated the wiring is with factory wiring, how well the valet switch is hidden, etc...

it took me a long time to install that alarm mainly due to the extras i did such as installing a sunroof module, and locating the antenna all the way in the back of my car...oh and i wanted the LED indicator to be in the door panel....running wires into our doors is a *****, i dont recommend that one....

·
Registered
512 Posts
bottom line is what the opportunity cost to is and the level of commitment that you have if you decide to take on the project. if you have a pro do it, then if going to cost a couple hundred dollars but you can watch them do the job and if something goes wrong then they can be blamed. if you decide to take on the project then you save yourself money, it is a learning experience and if there are fellow ti members that are near you then you might be able to get help but its going to cost you a good amount of time and theres always a chance that something can go wrong.
im not trying to advise you to take one way over the other, the project is completely do able. but i am just being realistic and stating the simple facts for you to look at.

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Remember...the alarm is only as effective as the install. If you fail to hide the wires/brain and other important components..you might as well not even have one.

If youve never screwed around with car electronics, and basically dont have a great idea of how to do it before you even look at the car, there's no question that it should be left to professionals.

Even if the install is 300, pay it. Go to the most reputable shop in your area, and dont worry about cost if you want it done right.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
if you have xperience then your good to go.just remember make it hard for the thief to find the brain.loom up the wires so they will look like its part of the engine harness running to god know's where,the horn must be hooked up properly in the engine bay to make sure its loud and you can hear it, and last but not least have a wiring diagram and know where those wires are and how to get to them.easy as pie.

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
JeRsEyLoon on Feb/05/06 said:
Remember...the alarm is only as effective as the install. If you fail to hide the wires/brain and other important components..you might as well not even have one.

If youve never screwed around with car electronics, and basically dont have a great idea of how to do it before you even look at the car, there's no question that it should be left to professionals.

Even if the install is 300, pay it. Go to the most reputable shop in your area, and dont worry about cost if you want it done right.

Good Luck.

just make sure its a trust car audio tech thats installin your car.sometimes they can follow you to your house and scope you out.i heard many of those stories from just one place down here in new orleans

·
Registered
421 Posts
the 791 is a ***** to install, i've done a few at my work and they suck, i would suggest going to a shop. make sure the shop is a directed electronics dealer just too keep yourself safe and for warranty purposes on the unit.

·
Registered
99 Posts
There are a couple of shops here in Ohio I know for a fact will case some customer's vehicles. Make sure you have a reputable shop that is BBB approved, I've had a few friends and many acquaintances be victim to shady businesses. Good luck.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.