Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need advice on what part is it that needs changing and what would be the part number. I attached a pic to give a better idea.

I first noticed it when I would do hard acelaration that the steering wheel would have a micro play. Now when I am driving normally you feel the micro vibrations, I took it to a friends mechanic and raise the car and noticed that i was leaking steering wheel fluid, look more carefully and noticed that the nipple on the boot that I would assume equalizes the fluids is broken on the drivers side, this is were I am leaking the fluid from. The mechanic said that the seals from the rack and pinion are shot and need replacing and since its a whole unit thing the whole piece would have to be replaced he gave me a quote of 250 parts and labor but the unit would be a rebuilt w/one year guarantee only.

I guess my question is has anyone else experience this and what is the part number (name), maybe I can get something better than a rebuilt but not as expensive has the dealer would charge me.

thanks for any help you can provide

broken nipple

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
TurboLS thanks for the quick responce

Ok so your partial to manual steering instead of rack and pinion "assist" but let me ask you the hose that attaches to that nipple what do i do clamp it? and thats it? btw what is the purpose of that hose?

But the real question is what do i do about the vibrations its more like a wooble just that its very minute right now I would assume that it gets worse w/wear or as the part gets more damaged, does that part produce such and effect? will replacing it correct the problem?

thanks again.

Sebell

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry I thought i had put it till bleemasaurus asked.

the car has 72k and something its a acura integra 2000 (I think its a GL)

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
sebell69 on Sep/18/07 said:
Sorry I thought i had put it till bleemasaurus asked.

the car has 72k and something its a acura integra 2000 (I think its a GL)
heck mine is a 94 and it only has 109k on it. hmmm there is no such thing as a GL teg. it is either a gsr or ls

·
Registered
629 Posts
mine has 136000 miles on it and it still runs great no shaking at all.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
TurboLS

it does trow a tad to the right but that was always there I have been needing a 4 wheel aligment now for a bit but been busy traveling outside of the county so you know how that goes, but lately like mmmmhh since last hurricane to pass the caribbean at least I have been noticing a vibration you could call it a resonance.

Friend who owns a integra GSR said it was worth the money to have my tires rotated/rebalanced and 4 wheel aligment done before I change the part in question his opinion was based on him driving my car and something similiar that happen to him a few months back and after he rotated and aligned the problem went away, so I figured I try that its the cheapest "what IF" in the troubleshooting process and its better than replacing the part w/a rebuilt used part or going junk yard hunting to find a OEM.

·
Registered
506 Posts
TurboLS on Sep/19/07 said:
or is it more like a vibration in that you can feel a resonant frequency in your hands when you hold it that wasn't there before??
that's kinda how my car feels... except the entire car shakes at speeds of 65+ and you can feel it through the steering wheel too... i was thinking that it was just the cv axle that i got from autozone... but i don't know if that is really that problem,

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Lets look at things in the "half full" side of the glass and I do the tire rotation and 4 wheel Alighment and it fixes my vibration problem ........ then what do i do w/the broken nipple and leaking SF? Do I just clamp up the hose and shrug my shoulders and walk away or what? any ideas.

I know TurboLS is partial to just chuck the whole power steering system and driving it "manual", but how manual will it become w/o power assist??

Its a bit of a ***** to park a car in parallel w/o power steering assist!!

·
Registered
138 Posts
a vibration under acceleration is an axle. after it gets real bad it will be all the time. (the cage in the axle gets loose) a wheel bearing will not cause a vibration unless it is about to come apart. tire vibration is usually not all the time (like between certain speeds, example between 60 and 70) unless you have a belt letting loose. i would say its probably an axle. you should be able to tell what side. but its kind of a gamble so i would just replace both sides because axles are only like $60 at advance and they have a lifetime warranty. fix the axle quick cause a vibration will cause other front end parts to fail. it could get pretty expensive. as for the rack it shouldn't cause a vibration unless your inner tie rods are severly worn.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
UPDATE 05/23/08:

Yes I know its been a while but its one of those things you either have the time but not the money or have the money but not the time to get the repairs done

Anyways I purchased the steering column from steeringrack.com w/a lifetime warranty on it and a deposit return when i send them them the original core back to them.

steering column cost me around 219 bucks and the repair/replacement cost me 200, I get 91 back for the core, so all in all it cost me around 300 something to get it replaced.

I did front wheel aligment after the job and done deal, I have not had a chance to drive it on the highway yet, but the slip/vibration is gone and it was getting pretty bad.

I WOULD LIKE TO THANK EVERYoNE WHO POSTED ANSWERS FOR THE HELP.

Now am in the market to change my struts and my rotors anyone got links to any site?

Sebell69

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.