Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am trying to change the axle on my passenger driver side of my car. it would be kinda easy if i didnt break 4 breaker bars on it already... help please!!!!. what should i do.

·
Registered
6,120 Posts
How are you going about trying to get it off? Is wheel on the ground and your just trying to muscle it off?

Make sure the one section on the nut is not bent in, one of my axle nuts were so bad to the point i had to cut off the axle nut.

Try and get an air tool on there and see if that would help any, if not then revert to cutting(carefully)!

·
Registered
917 Posts
If the axle nut is bent in the slightest way into the divot on the shaft this will make it near impossible to take off, make sure that part is popped out all the way, like suggested earlier get a better breaker bar or air tool and give it hell. it will come off. when re installing it make sure you torque to the propper specs.

·
Registered
2000 Acura Integra GSR
2,880 Posts
Impact gun, everyone always tries to get around it but they always end up using it.

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
Put tire back on and lower to floor. Break loose that way is so much easier. Make sure the dented in notch has been pushed back up so the nut can rotate easily.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Well if you break the nut off it won’t matter because you’re replacing the whole CV shaft.

If all else fails and the ****er won’t move, cut a notch in one side of the nut all the way into the CV thread, it WILL come off after that

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
one time i couldnt get my friends axle nut off so i had to dremel it off...be careful not to ruin the threads, just break the nut with the dremel enough to just break it off the threads

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
Not everyone has air tools guys. And use a breaker bar, at least 1/2" please. Not many ratchets will survive the beating of a 3-6 ft long steel pipe.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
TEGGSRB18C1 on Sep/28/07 said:
Impact gun, everyone always tries to get around it but they always end up using it.
thats what im saying i listened my my 69 ss chevelle drivin dad and beroke 5 craftmans 3/4 drive rachets and then got my air gun out and filled my air compressor to about 110 or 120 and it came off in like 3 sec flat mind you i didthese after taking the whole knukle off because i was at my girl house when i ek's axle broke

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Air tools FTW.

If you work on your car, it's just something you have to buy. I got my compressor and impact driver when I decided to do an ITR suspension conversion. You can get a decent compressor at Sears for pretty cheap. I got mine on sale for like $120 and it's more than enough. I snapped an LCA bolt with it once by accident. Good used impact drivers are all over eBay too.

You can get in under $300 easy, and the tools will pay for themselves the first job you do, vs. paying a shop to do it because you couldn't get a bolt loose.

once you have air tools, you wonder how you ever did anything without them. It makes working on your car so much easier.

-Nick

·
Registered
16 Posts
ok well heres some thing i learned in my high school auto shop. take a tourch ( they dont cost that much) heat the bolt all the way around then use your breaker bar to get it loose. or you could try some thing as easy as wd-40 and let it sit for a while. between both of those it should work.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.