Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys i have a questions i hope someone can answer for me, i have owned my gsr for about 6 weeks now and untill tonight never found out that my car keys only start the key and dont open the locks. Because the car came with a compustar 2wssr remote start pager system i never had to open the door with the keys well tonight for some reason i came out of work and tried to unlock my doors as usual and nothing happened, for some reason my remote was not communicating with the transmitter in my winsheild even when i walked right up, to make a long story short the key i use to turn the ignition every day would not open both passanger doors or the trunk and i also used a spare key that the previous owner gave me as well, both keys were copies not oem acura, but do you this this is possible?

can a key turn the car on but not open any locks?

could the alarm being stuck in the armed position cause the locks not to turn?

·
Registered
16,250 Posts
The valet key should open the doors and start the car. The trunk and glove box should not be able to open. Im not sure what key you have a copy of.

The locks on the doors may have been replaced for whatever reason. You can try spraying WD40 in the locks and see if its just stuck locks.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Yes it is possible if the iginition cylinder was changed or the door locks where changed. My car is the same way except i have keys that will open my doors and trunk, but they wont start the car, and then i have a key that wont open the doors but will start the car. Its possible the person who owned it before you had the locks changed or maybe it was changed because of theft. Mine were changed cause my car was stolen from the original owner an he had to have his cylinder replaced.

·
Super Moderator
14,200 Posts
Time to contact the previous owner

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Rainman on Feb/17/04 said:
Yes it is possible if the iginition cylinder was changed or the door locks where changed. My car is the same way except i have keys that will open my doors and trunk, but they wont start the car, and then i have a key that wont open the doors but will start the car. Its possible the person who owned it before you had the locks changed or maybe it was changed because of theft. Mine were changed cause my car was stolen from the original owner an he had to have his cylinder replaced.
I was thinking this was done for theft prevention for your car as well. Does the key just not turn at all... or turn but not actually unlock the door?

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
SonicBlueTeg on Feb/17/04 said:
hm.. sounds like a big mixup there.. i'll bet the owner had the ignition key thingie changed and didn't bother to fix the door/trunk locks.. booo
nice avatar Annie! woot woot I noticed hello kitty

anyway, back to the topic at hand, I agree that the original owner might have changed the ignition key/lock and did not change the rest of the locks.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I had a similar problem on my '94. Turns out the key had worn down enough that it would not work the doors, but still worked in the ignition. New key solved the problem. The problem is probably a swapped cylinder, but I thought you should know about this possibility. Do you have any other keys? or... you can get Acura to cut you the one that corresponds to your VIN.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.