Team Integra Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well don't hate on the Level Ten tranny, because I haven't drag raced in quite some time and pretty much forgot how to.

Anybody on here who has a automatic and drag races please help me get my groove back haha. I need to relearn launch techniques and pretty much the basics. This car should be way faster than this alot of people at the track tonite said so also of course in their opinion.

Well here are the BUTT ASS UGLY f**kING BULLsh*t TIMES I pulled. And thanks again for helping me learn how to race all over again. Any help is appreciated so thanks.

1st run
r/t 2.520
60' didn't give it to me what a gip!
330 7.121
1/8 10.8
mph 66.70
1000 14.098
1/4 16.833
mph 82.26

2nd run
r/t 1.099
60' 2.757
330 7.411
1/8 11.172
mph 66.54
1000 14.404
1/4 17.170
mph 81.83

Pretty ugly for what I have spent and done to this car. Oh well that's why I posted these so my fellow TI members can help me learn how to drag race again. Thanks and yes you can make fun hahaHA.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
BWAHAHAHAHAHA...jk no reason to make fun

At least you have a car right now, I cant even say that much.
And I PMd you before, I think it was you..never got a reply
lol anywho..

Have fun learning.

- Josh

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
wow.

Ok, launch technique for me is,

*dont flame, I'll explain...*
put in first, then gas/brake
release brake.

shift into second at 6800, then shift to 3rd and let the transmission do the rest.

* reason for starting in D1.
Try launching in a parking lot a couple of times.
The transmission will not lock itself in first gear unless you do it. It will stay in the gear you were last at or at an idle state, not really in any gear.

When launching with D1, you will get better times because you are putting the trans into gear. You shed yourself of the 1/2 second delay during which the transmission would normally be putting itself into first had you been launching from D3.

my little blurb...
In my opinion its best to launch from 1st just because it does launch faster. trust me, try it in a parking lot. You'll see...

I'm sure its bad on the tranny to gas/brake, but yours is level 10, so yeah...

also, when gas/brake dont full throttle, give it about 1/2, then step up after the launch.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah Oh well that's why I posted this crap so somebody who has a automatic could give me some pointers on launching. I tried the powerbrake and reved it up to a little over 3k but it wouldn't go any farther than that. Hmmmm wonder why? Ah yes the TC been upgraded and locks up at 2600rpm, but wait there's something fishy it was sitting at 3k+. If anybody has any help on this please post thanks.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks I will try that next time I was sitting in d4 the whole time pretty much letting the tranny do what it wants, but it should shift faster with the upgraded TC. Thanks for that input I will try that next time. I was in total shock the whole time there and was getting ready to go home after the first run. Any other input on launching thanks again.

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
Yeah, definately try it, You can loose traction when launching in D1, but never in D3/4.

Thats why I say try it, it definately launches harder. I should bust out the video cam and show everyone what I'm talking about.

The delay is gone and the tranny does get to do the work when you finally get into second and shift it to D3.

*edit*
You should also try running it in D3, as you get rid of overdrive and it always feels like the transmission is a little more agressive in its shifts when you're out of econo mode D4.
Plus, I doubt you'll go past 105 in the 1/4 with your car. I know I dont.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I really need to dyno tune this car right and see where this powerband sits so I can place the stall speed in the right spot. Thanks again for your help I will bookmark this to see the progress.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No Matt that is what sucks about it I don't know where I'm making my power at. I need a base dyno sheet tuned so I know if my stall speed is off. Plus I wasn't ready at the second run.

·
Registered
789 Posts
tuning is where its at man, with your setup I would expect at least 15s. I got a 16.9 w00t! Good luck with it man cuz I was considering a setup like yours, keep us updated

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I feel like selling the damn thing and buying the bling haaahaaaahaaaaa. NOT!

·
Registered
807 Posts
MeltMan on Apr/16/04 said:
* reason for starting in D1.
Try launching in a parking lot a couple of times.
The transmission will not lock itself in first gear unless you do it. It will stay in the gear you were last at or at an idle state, not really in any gear.
I dont think its that it stays in the gear u were last at...Its just that in D4, if u powerbrake too high of rpm, it will shift into 2nd from first, in order to gain traction, which is why ur take-off will be slower. Not that its starting in the last gear u were in...you should be starting in first gear all the time. If u are powerbraking in D4, just keep it at about 1800-2000 rpms....I've also heard that its faster to keep it in either D3 or D4 the whole way, instead of shifting 1-2-D3-D4....

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Who was the guy that ran a 14.7 or something with spraying NOS. I'd like to know how he ran that great time in a auto. Thanks alot.

·
Super Moderator
25,245 Posts
Don't take this the wrong way, but....there's a strategy to race an auto? Just mash the gas...I would have expected low 15s or even high 14s since you are charged...

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
You didnt notice that your highly modded teg was no faster than stock before you took it to the track?

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
No my overpriced engine and tranny package was alot faster than stock it's just that I haven't raced in a long time and pretty much forgot how to. I need to tune the car and practice practice practice. I also just left the tranny in d4 and it witched gears on me and bogged out I will try to leave it in d1 next time and try to match up the upshifts and see how I do on that. If anybody else has any educated opinions on launching a auto then please feel free to drop me a PM or leave it here on this post thanks again.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Wait . . .let me get some clarification on this. You have a supercharger that has not been tunned, there in may lie the problem. You may need to play with your air/fuel ratio a little. Of course if those have to be adjusted you may require a new stall speed.

Yes racing with a automatic transmission requires a strategy, there is a lot to overcome. (lack of low end power, crappy gearing, etc)

As for launching, I would stick with power braking. The fact that you can rev to 3000 is great. My concerne about putting it in D1 is, its often to complicated to calculate when the computer is actually going to shift you out of first gear. Remember that it won't shift out of first until you have already moved the shifter into D2.

I think you would be better off just learning some foot control.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.