Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
how much clearance are we talking about?

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
loose= wider clearances, = noisier valvetrain and when it gets bad, burning oil since you're slamming or pounding the valve onto the seat as it closes and this transfers that shock up the valve stem. Usually the seat insert and valveface will be pounded or mushroom and not seal properly eventually over time. The shock will then affect the stem at the valve guide further causing that valve not to close shut and seal properly because now the valve is moving around in the guide.bit this tkes time to happen..not right away. secondly loose lashes usually has the valve open earlier but shut for longer time and therefore this gains power at the low rpms and give up power up top so another symptom is loss of top end power.

it's better to go wrong on the loose side or so they say but I tend to follow the tighter side of the range (specs on your hood) when the engine is bone cold (I do it on a day I know the car won't be used, unlike some people who work on it after letting it cool down after use for say 4 hr.) for power gains up top where these motors need it. I do my lash just before a track event to make sure I don't incur damage to the valvetrain when pushing her harder and every 12-15K miles ( a little extreme but that's me since I'm running a 12mm lift 255 @1mm duration race cam..i.e. aggressive causing wear).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.