Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't really want to waste my money on bolt ons right now as what I have on now is good enough for the power my car is putting out. I want to either build the head or put in some higher compression pistons. I've been told that using high compression pisons without first preparing the head can damage it from the extra stress the motor wasn't designed for. I'm not sure exactly what size piston I'm looking at yet because I'm going to go FI within a year or so and I don't want to push it too far. My goal is to have the car run 13 second 1/4's daily driven with not more than 8psi on the turbo. I'm not sure how much hp that's going to take I don't have very easy access to a dyno I measure all my gains in terms of 1/4 mile time. So any info as to whether the head work or slugs will get me more power, if I should be building the head first regardless, and what size/stage I should be looking at for the numbers I want to produce would be appreciated. I should probably add that it's a 98 GSR 2 Door.

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
For a GSR, I'd just worry about getting the head worked on. A fully built GSR head w/stock block compression will get you into the 13's easily.

·
Registered
821 Posts
what size pistons and what compression ratio is based on what head package did you end up putting together.

Cams work in relation to what dynamic C/R of the pistons you choose. You can do the calculatons here and see what compressions works well with what lift/duration of the cams.

Remember its a whole system working together in harmony, you cant just lego build your motor.

See getting a high compression dome piston on a stock gsr cams will under cam the engine. While getting high lift long duration cams on a stock 10:1.1 c/r gsr bottom end will over-cam it.

If your going turbo with in the next year like you said, why not just wait until then and make your build around that?

·
Registered
354 Posts
You need to do a little bit of research buddy.

You have high goals with (what seems to be) little knowledge.

Search the forum - tons of good info here.

It sounds like you talked to two different car guys and now you think you know what you should do,

Seriously, look around this forum. There's a wealth of information here.

·
Registered
6,228 Posts
integra_papa on Feb/03/06 said:
if you go FI high comp pistons is a waste of money. if you use high comp pistons you'd bow the motor. FI=low compression pistons n/a= high compression pistons. just save the money and buy low comp ones.
Please stop spreading misinformation... Higher compression means a more likely chance of detonation, this is where tuning comes into play. Now, obviously youll have different cam profiles in an all motor build, but high compression and boost is NOT a problem if your tuner is good.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.