Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im decided on going with the skunk2 stage to vtec camshaft, with skunk2 high compression intake and exaust valves. Would i be best of going with skunk2 retainers and valve springs or could I safley use for instance toda valve springs springs or jun retainers with that set up?

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
For the Skunk2 Stage 2 cams with 12 mm max. lift on the intake side, you'll want to use Skunk2's valvesprings or Toda's valvesprings which can handle that much lift without coil binding based on Portflow's Spintron Testing at stock installed valvespring heights. The last alternative is using ITR outer intake valvesprings on both sides and Portflow inner valvesprings on both sides.

The valve seat pressures on the springs aren't excessive to the point of causing worry about valve wear or valve seat wear, although if you use stainless steel valves (like I have in the past) and you get some leakdown test losses, it may be something to examine as a cause. For that reason, I have stopped using stainless valves on street motors. The ITR intake valves are as light as the stainless racing valves and have less wear over 50k miles on the seats. So really the only reason to go stainless steel valves is for FI with high heat and the need for oversizing the valve. The question you have to ask yourself is:"how does Skunk2 achieve higher compression with their valves?". It must involve some sort of reduction in the combustion space and therefore a reduction in piston to valve clearance. When you reduce clearances and later on choose a thinner head gasket or mill the head or deck the block this may come into play in a bad way. So ask them what happens with milling the head with these valves and how much "play" you have for safe piston to valve clearances.

I don't know why people have this automatic need to buy Ti retainers. They afford you around 300 (and maybe 500 at most) rpm more on the redline and can handle sustained high heat for a long time (30-45 min) but they can gall valvesprings, can pop out, and can affect installed valvespring heights improperly when installed incorrectly. So if you aren't running FI or a road racing motor where you run near the redline for a sustained time, I don't see the point in them in a street motor. The valvetrain weight thing is again a hype. If you insist on getting them, at least have them Nitride coated to prevent the galling issue as a possibility and ensure that the installed heights and seating of the retainer are double checked.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Mike, say you were using the skunk2 valve springs with their cams, what kind of redline could you push with stock compression? 10:1 GSR

Now what if you used Skunk2 retainers?

·
Registered
934 Posts
I had the same question Mike. But I have a burned JDM ECU OBD II that lets me rev to 10,000. I have never taken it that high, but with my new cam springs and retainers installed, along with the camshafts, could I now take it that high without adverse affects?

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
redline on stock CR? min. 9k rpm. You probably can go to 10k rpm with Skunk2 springs if you needed to but you won't need to. I wouldn't consider going more than >10K rpm as there is no reason for these cams in that engine package to do so.

My comments on retainers was a general one...applied to all.

If you want to get them, at least know why .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts