Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey there,

i'm sure alot of you have seen this already...
http://www.importreview.com/reviews/valvesprings.html

i was hoping there was someone here that could enlightening us about valvesprings/spring pressure and its affect on valvetrain. and any other general info along those lines.

its known that too great a spring pressure is bad on valvetrains, but what IS too much? look at the portflow spring pressure. i was using those on my Toda spec B's. then look at the Toda spring pressure. i also spoke with Ali Jahed at Toda, and he told me that portflow springs were linear, unlike the toda valve springs, which are progressive.

i'm beginning to wonder if high pressure valve springs caused me alot of pre-mature wear on my timing belt (teeth ripped off)and prolly on the cams as well.

i will be switching to CTR cams soon, and would like to run the portflow valvetrain since i have it already.but i'm afraid that my valvetrain won't like them. i might just spend the $300-400 for the toda spring kit, but the reason i bought the portflow kit was because it was half the price of the Toda kit in the first place.anyone have anything to say about this? anyone with personal experience? thanks

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
if the valve seat pressure exceeds the cam manufacturer's recommended pressure by 15% you run into excessive rocker, cam, and seat wear. You must also account for valve seal and rocker arm interferences in working out clearances and pressures.

if the cam has not been degreed and at TDC on install then the chances of a timing belt being off are higher.

BTW the 15% rule also applies to having the seat pressures too low as well. People just think that high seat pressures can cause increased wear and is hard on the valvetrain but this is also true for excessively low seat pressures since the valve geometry is off here as well.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts