Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When doing a Valve Lash Adjustment, there are the front banks and the back banks of lash adjustment. Can I assume that the front are Exhaust Valves and Back are Intake or is each lobe of the cam/lash is exhaust or intake. Please some one clarify this for me. Thanks.

·
Registered
121 Posts
If you can't positively identify which are the intake and exhaust valves, are you sure you can correctly adjust the lash and properly re-torque the adjusting bolts properly?

Incorrectly adjusting the valves can cause problems such as lost engine power, increased engine noise, increased valve train wear and burned valves.

Make sure you know what you are doing!

·
Registered
917 Posts
Make sure you make your adjustments after the car has been cooled for at least a couple of hours, this is very important, on our dual cam integras, the valves correlate to the in and out of air and gas, exh mani is ex, int mani is in, if you have never done this you should read up on it first.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I just did mine yesterday. Make sure you have a angled feeler gauge will save alot of time. The exhaust valves are in the front and intake in the back. If you need specs let me know ill send em

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
I agree that the OP should not be attempting something like this if he doesn't even know enough about how the internals of an engine work to know which valves are intake vs. exhaust.

But anyway, angled feeler gauges are a must for this...I could not have done it without them!

And you will need the special adjustment tool, but don't get it from the dealer as you will spend upwards of $75 for both pieces. I got mine from amazon.com for about 12 bucks! Just be sure to put a mark/cut on it so you can easily tell if the center piece turns by accident when you are tightening the lock nut (thereby messing up the gap).

·
Premium Member
25,245 Posts
one question could lead to the next....should he be turboed if he can't adjust his valves?

Anyways...he has to learn sometime...the article on valve adjustment is a great start.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey guys... Thanks for all the respond. Actually I've just done it this past Saturday. Yes, my guess was that the back is intake and front are exhaust. Took me a couple of hours without the proper tool but was done; however, did not torque it down properly (just tighten base on feel). I will be buying the correct tool and redo it once again. Thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey, DRCHEAP, what part number did you look for in Amazon.com??? 12 bux for that tool is DRCHEAP ..... Let me know so I can get that nifty tool. Thanks.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I just did mine this weekend, went to all kinds of shops looking for angled feeler gauges to no avail. Straight feelers work fine, just bend them with a pair of pliers to get the angle to get into the valve.

·
Registered
640 Posts
pmahon01 on Nov/19/07 said:
I just did mine this weekend, went to all kinds of shops looking for angled feeler gauges to no avail. Straight feelers work fine, just bend them with a pair of pliers to get the angle to get into the valve.

i think the straight ones work fine for ls motors, but you probably need the bent ones for gsr motors.

·
Registered
717 Posts
i use straight feeler gauges. they bend pretty easily. i also just use a flat head and a 10mm socket. i leave the feeler gauge in the gap when i tighten them down to help prevent it from tightening the gap while torquing it to spec. it only takes about 30 minutes if you know what you are doing. just recheck the gap after you tighten it down. i have never had any problems not using the adjustment tool.

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
ok i'm about to do my valves but i have one question, the specs in the article

B18B
INTAKE: 0.003" - 0.005" (0.08mm - 0.12mm)
EXHAUST: 0.006" - 0.008" (0.16mm - 0.20mm)

my gauges have two sets of numbers. which one am i suppose to read?

for example:

mm

tryin to figure this out but it boggled me. i also think i will have to return these and find one with a .003 because this one doesn't have it.

·
Registered
323 Posts
one will be inches and the other is MM. So you can use either one.
if you use inches use the 1st numbers if you use the mm side use the 2nd numbers. .003" is the same as .08mm

INTAKE: 0.003" - 0.005" (0.08mm - 0.12mm)
EXHAUST: 0.006" - 0.008" (0.16mm - 0.20mm)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.