Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
I say you can, but be careful not to damage any surfaces where the seals sit. Just don't blast it too much.Does that thing have a low setting?

Edit. You can also use acetone. when I worked at an ink company we wanted to get alot of ink stains off of the machinery. of course sand blasting wasn't an option. So we ended up renting a co2 blaster. This thing strips the paint to bare metal and doesn't leave a mess in it's wake .Pretty nice. But you wouldn't want to rent one just for a valve cover.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I thought you could strip off the coating from the factory with just a variety of sandpapers(wet sandpaper for the final touch i heard) and some hard work. I don't know how comfortable i'd be with a sandblaster pointed at my valve cover knowing that some of that has the possibility of damaging a surface that could cause it to leak down the road. Thats just me though

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just go buy Aircraft finish remover from an auto parts store, spray it on and wait like 10 minutes. just spray the cover with a hose and most of the paint will be off. You may have to do it two or three times. Then let cover dry, sand it, and paint with engine enamel. That's the easiest way I've found to do it.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
I just stripped mine last night, I did exactly what jshap did!!! Took like 10 minutes, that stuff is TOXIC!! But it removed every bit of paint....I left mine the cast, didnt paint it, it makes the engine compartment look pretty sharp looking....I am going for the cast w/yellow highlights look for mine....yellow wires, yellow painted heat shield, yellow neuspeed logo on chrome strut bar, yellow vacuum lines lookes pretty nice!

·
Registered
311 Posts
I had mine bead blasted by a guy here at work. Came out real smooth,got all the paint off,even in tiny little gaps.

·
Registered
221 Posts
You guys are removing your valve cover when you do this right? Is the valve cover ok just to take off then put back on or do I need to look out for anything? Does anyone have any pics of there valve cover where they had used the aircraft paint remover technique and just left it cast?

·
Registered
253 Posts
I used the aircraft coating remover, the old paint came off like a dream. WARNING this is the most toxic stuff ever, spray you valve cover in the street, or some other place where there will be no runoff and good ventalation. wear gloves, and have a wire brush handy, then your ready to prime.good luck. It's really easy.

note: the dc strut bar was swapped for an ITR one

·
Registered
384 Posts
I used Grafitti Remover......Works really really good. All you do is spray wait....then get a rag and remove and it comes off. Then i sanded it and then painted it....pics will be up soon!

·
Registered
221 Posts
I want to see one that is just the color of the metal not painted or anything. You dont have to re-seal the valve cover or anything? I have a 99 LS that has a different valve cover too is that one painted also? You just un-bolt the valve cover and then do whatever you are going to do with it then bolt it back on huh? I want to see pics of someone's that is not painted just the color of the metal.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
hey dan... i got this place through my work that does pretty good powder coating real cheap. let me know if you are interested.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Valve cover torque specs: 86 in-lbs

the sequence for tightening the bolts in the haynes manual are for a vtec motor, I have an ls, but its similar:

|8----------5||
| -3------1- ||
| -4------2- ||
|7----------6||

you want to tighten the nugs around the spark plugs clockwise, then move to the nuts on the outside rim.

cheers.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts