Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i deserve a jackass award for this. I'm so forgetful. Today i took my valve cover off to replace the gasket, and to paint the valve cover. Well i painted it nice and pretty, but i forgot to put the gasket back on. Its aweful i just got home from driving my girlfriend home and cloulds of smoke were coming from under my hood.
Its AWFUL, oil is EVERYWHERE. all over the exhaust heat shield, valve cover, radiator Under side of my hood i mean everywhere. Even some on my air filter. Does anyone know what i should do? How can i get all this oil cleaned up. I'm so dumb and now need help for my stupid mistake.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Dont worry about it, we all make mistakes, maybe search the articles or take it somewhere?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I dunno but you may have hurt the motor some so I would go to a mechanic to get it checked out and to get it cleaned up....I mean if u can make it there.....lol

·
Registered
16,250 Posts
First thing to do is take the valve cover off and put on a new gasket as you don't want degreaser or water in the engine. After the valve cover is properly put on add eneough oil.

Remove your entire intake ( I assume you have a short ram) and clean that seperatly. Douse the engine in engine degreaser or simple green and hose it all off.

Follow the article for what you have to cover. Look at it as a chance to fully clean your engine. Don't forget about the underside of the hood. Simple green for that as well.

When your done wash and was the whole car to say your sorry.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeh i hope there is no internal damage. luckily i only drove like 4 miles, i doubt there is even half a quart of oil left. sigh. i have a friend whos oil pan cracked and he drove his jetta anyway and he cracked the block... i hope something like that doesnt happen to me but it could be a chance to put in a b18c1.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
UPDATE: This morning i went out to fix my gasket and get all this crap cleaned up. Well, all my spark plug holes were completly filled with oil, and the gasket was in teh wrong place. So i got a new gasket and 4 o rings. put the gasket in the right place and put the valve cover back on. I have a new question. At my house all we have a 10w-30 oil but i know we need 5w-30 oil. would it be bad for my engine if i mixed in a lil 10w-30 just to temporarily fill my car with oil?.

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
Furious94LS on Apr/05/04 said:
When your done wash and was the whole car to say your sorry.
lol best sentence of the day!

Dont worry man, be glad you didn't drain all of the oil and blow the engine. I wish you goodluck with this clean up project. Everyone makes mistakes, just take this time out to clean out your whole engine once and for all.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Nah your not a jackass, we all make mistakes. Good Lcuk though.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
lildevock on Apr/06/04 said:
UPDATE: This morning i went out to fix my gasket and get all this crap cleaned up. Well, all my spark plug holes were completly filled with oil, and the gasket was in teh wrong place. So i got a new gasket and 4 o rings. put the gasket in the right place and put the valve cover back on. I have a new question. At my house all we have a 10w-30 oil but i know we need 5w-30 oil. would it be bad for my engine if i mixed in a lil 10w-30 just to temporarily fill my car with oil?.
What did you do about the oil in the sparkplug holes?

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i used around 40 q tips to get the oil out around the spark plugs.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Look at it this way, the damage is cosmetic and the fix is 20-30 minutes tops. Just imagine if you forgot to reinstall your piston rings of rod journals.... 10w 30 is fine for our engines bro! Good luck and let us know when she's back in running order!

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Citrus Degreeser Advance Auto parts sells a bottle with 20% more FREE( the extra 20% is free) Get a tire brush and Spray on let it soak for 15 min then scrub the crap out of it and spray more degreeser on wait another 10 minutes and hose off with plenty of water If you see any more Oil then repeat the steps again. use rags to wipe off the oil stains as I am sure some of it is Cooked on.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts