Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Teg: 2000 LS 2DR Auto, 69 K miles.
My valve cover gasket leaks at the front. The so called cam seal appears to be fairly clean. In lieu of replacing the gasket with a new one, could I effectively stop the oil leak with a slight tightening of the valve cover bolts at the front ? I'm afraid if I torque too much, the oil leak will be worse. Any suggestions ? What is the max. torque for these bolts ?

·
Registered
13 Posts
you should prob get a new gasket, but if you try tightening make sure you use a torque wrench. Those bolts strip really easily, at like just slightly over 7-8 foot lbs. which is not much force at all.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
the gains that you will get are marginal from tighter bolts. clean off the area around the valve cover and then find where it is exactly leaking from. then i would put more honda bond in that area, or just replace the gasket if its bad. overtightening the bolts is generally not a good idea because the bolts are too small and the studs like to snap.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ImajimAZN, instead of tightening the bolts, do you suggest applying Hondabond to the valve cover to head junction after cleaning the joint to stop the leak, without removing the valve cover? Instead of using (from what I understand to be expensive) Hondabond sealant, what other sealants would be appropriate?

·
Registered
95 Posts
If you snapped a bolt those things can leak some oil. I did about 500 miles in a trip from Sacramento to Modesto and then Sac to San Francisco and I had lost around 2 1/2 lt of oil. I was at the bottom of the dip stick.

The studs aren't that expensive if you break them. Just replace them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.