Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a B18C1 engine and I will be putting a USDM B18C5 Intake Cam, JDM retainers and JDM dual valve springs (both intake and exhaust) on the head.

Can someone advise me on valve adjustments?What should the valve lash be roughly?

I've read all the posts I could in the forums about this, but none describe how the adjustments change when I make these type of mods.

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
JDM retainers and valve springs are no different than USDM so nothing really changes. Helms manual suggests 0.08-0.12mm intake and 0.16-0.20mm exhaust

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
lolz....do you guys think it's wise to do it yourself if you haven't done a valve adjustment before w/ a manual of course or is it not worth the time and energy b/c it's much better at the dealer?

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
yes, the wisdom of getting in over your head without having even a proper manual or at least someone to guide your first go of it isn't a good idea.particularly since valve lash clearances if done improperly have huge consequences in repairs in terms of costs. Rocker arms, cams, valves, valve seals, valve guides, and pistons don't come cheap.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks SurferX, I appreciate the response, I have the GSR service manual, but I just didn't know if the specs changed for type R components, and why they'd change if they did etc. (so i asked!)

As for MikeSerGSR's comment, buddy, just because I'm venturing into something knew that I don't know alot about, it doesn't mean I'm not taking precautions.
There will be a mechanic with me when I do the job, and I've researched as much as I could for the last two months with this head siting on my workbench for all summer. Now c'mon, theres nothing wrong with learning is there?That was a pretty rude comment. Sorry that I'm not as knowledgable as you are about our cars.

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
Good luck on the valve adjustment. Sometimes they are more out of spec than you'd think. Hopefully you'll regain some lost power and feel good about the time and energy you spent. Either way you'll feel good about the money you didn't have spend having someone do it for you. Acura dealers charge about $90 for valve adjustment service I believe.

Out of curiosity, are the specs specified in your GSR service manual different than what I said? My Helms doesn't differentiate between the model Integras when talking about valve clearances as if it's the same for all of them.

·
Registered
545 Posts
SurferX on Aug/21/02 said:
JDM retainers and valve springs are no different than USDM so nothing really changes. Helms manual suggests 0.08-0.12mm intake and 0.16-0.20mm exhaust
My Helms manual suggest 0.05-0.11 mm for intake and 0.10-0.16mm exhaust.

98 Helms Manual

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sure SurferX, The Acura Service Manual Specs this:

Valve:
Valve clearance (Cold)*
IN 0.15-0.19 (0.006-0.007)
EX 0.17-0.21 (0.007 - 0.008)

Stem-to-guide clearance
IN 0.025-0.055 (0.0010-0.0022)
EX 0.050-0.080 (0.0020 - 0.0031)

I was thinking of putting the specifications in HTML and give them to somebody on this site.

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
b18c1mien on Feb/12/07 said:
dude..u just posted a question on a 5 yr old post..
i see nothing wrong with that. it just show's that he's at least putting effort into finding his answer and if he doesn't he can post it in a current post that was made about the same situation.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I just want clarification that specs on valve adjustment on my brother's gsr which has type-r cams with springs is the same as gsr or type-r specs.

Components: GSR Head with Type-R Camshafts & Springs
Question: Do you use GSR valve adjustment specs or ITR specs when doing valve adjustment?

It seem that the answers to this post originally sounds like they didn't take the ITR camshaft into consideration and were giving answers to GSR camshafts with ITR springs.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts