Team Integra Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my friend just helped me install a vafc on my 99 gsr..after the installation..everything was fine..the thing was we thought vtec engages at 5500 so we set it to 5500..when it really engages at 4400 ..after driving it a while and hitting vtec..it threw a cel..22..can anyone confirm that 22 is vtec malfunction..what should i do now..im really worried that i might really damaged my car..after the cel came on..we disconnected the battery to reset it so the cel would go away..now when i reach around the vtec rpm doesnt feel like it engages anymore..when i use to hit it..it can hear the diff tone in the exhaust..now it stays the same thoughout the rpm band..any help on where to go from here..i set it back to 4400 now and the codes off for i disconnected battery..

·
Registered
73 Posts
Code 22 is: VTEC Oil Pressure Switch defective circuit or unplugged/defective oil pressure switch.

Your stock VTEC point is about 5500-5800 rpm. You might just set your point too low. Your engine can't use a setting too much lower than 5300, even that is pushing it. If you are not familiar with tuning with a V-AFC piggyback computer, you should go back and see what the LO/HI throttle points are set. You should also make sure your tuning points are all set at "0" or in the stock position. That will eliminate some of the other possibilities. There is also a coast down setting that you need to set up to near your original VTEC point.

The V-AFC is fairly technical and most cars are different, so it is difficult to explain what your car should be set as compared to other cars.

If you have a factory service manual, it will give you good directions on checking the oil pressure selenoid. Good Luck!!

·
Registered
157 Posts
I think there's some confusion. The Cam switchover is at 4400... the Intake runners switch at 5500.

Most likely your problem is a cut or grounded wire, relative to your VAFC install. Recheck those then ask someone for a copy of the troubleshooting flow chart in the Helms manual. It'll take you step by step.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Code 22 is: VTEC Oil Pressure Switch defective circuit or unplugged/defective oil pressure switch.

so if its saying vtec oil pressure is defective or unplugged..where should i go from here?..what should i check and do..thanks

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
TheRooster on Mar/07/04 said:
I think there's some confusion. The Cam switchover is at 4400... the Intake runners switch at 5500.

Most likely your problem is a cut or grounded wire, relative to your VAFC install. Recheck those then ask someone for a copy of the troubleshooting flow chart in the Helms manual. It'll take you step by step.
the wires were gone over and it seemed to be done right..everything was solder so i dont htink that would be a problem..but do you think its ok now that the light doesnt come back on..everysince i resetted it..

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
MichaelDelaney on Mar/08/04 said:
did you read Apex's update for the VAFC installation?

if you didn't hook up the 23 pin (pressure pin) on the ECU (see WH3 wiring diagram for your 1999 GSR) with the VAFC harness' VTM wire, you'll get the CEL code 22.
no it didnt have the update in the booklet..thanks for the info..on yeaj one more question..would the vtm wire be the blue wire by any chance..that seems to be the only wire that isnt hooked up to anything..

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
sorry for double posting but i keep leavint things out..last..i read that connecting that vtm blue wire would make vtec not engage though..does my vehicle have vtm signal..the site says only connect it if it is..thanks!

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
yes it does...it serves as your pressure switch signal.

you use your vtm for coarse part throttle tuning once you start fuel tuning at the dyno with a wideband.

at least now that I linked you to the update, you can print it out and add it to your instructions booklet.

if you have a mustang or superflow or dynapack chassis dyno shop locally I would go there instead of a dynojet...so that you can do some part throttle adjustments.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hey MD..hopefully the blue wire will do the trick..but i just talked to Tegongsr from another board..he has had the same problem for months now and has tried the vtm connection..but no luck.even replaced the switch...any other suggestions on top of the vtm connection..? thanks!

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
I have been doing some reading and i hope it is going too work i have not yet used a new switch what i did was take out the old one and put it back in and it work for about 3 days i was reving it up all the way to 8000 but on my way home from school it turn on again. I had bought a new vtec pressure switch but over tightin it and broke it so i got it out and waiting for a new one to come in.

Also "pbizzlegsr" you have a diffrent set up i have a 95 you have 99 diffrent ecu's

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
yrag on Mar/07/04 said:

Your stock VTEC point is about 5500-5800 rpm. You might just set your point too low. Your engine can't use a setting too much lower than 5300, even that is pushing it. If you are not familiar with tuning with a V-AFC piggyback computer, you should go back and see what the LO/HI throttle points are set. You should also make sure your tuning points are all set at "0" or in the stock position. That will eliminate some of the other possibilities. There is also a coast down setting that you need to set up to near your original VTEC point.

The V-AFC is fairly technical and most cars are different, so it is difficult to explain what your car should be set as compared to other cars.

If you have a factory service manual, it will give you good directions on checking the oil pressure selenoid. Good Luck!!
nothing worse than well written and believable misinformation. thanks!

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Ok could this be a real problem i just read this at honda-acura.net

"all i can tell you is code 22 is low vtec oil pressure my car used to throw it before i knew it had bad rings and i lost oil, but in your case all i can think of is mabey your vtec switch is not plugged in or wired right"

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
but in our case its differnt..its linked to the vafc install..it didnt happen until we installed the vafc so i crossed the code 22 things out..

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
so MD..tegongsr has then same problem and its been goingn on for 5 months now..he has plugged the blue wire and still its on.any other suggestions?

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
order one it should be in on thurs i will let you know as soon as i get it in also should i use teflon tape around it when i screw it in?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.