Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy was gunna sell me his apexi vfac off his 99 SI. I have a gsr, and my only concern is if it will hurt my engine. I only have i/h/c/e and was looking to give my car a lil more boost. I want my motor to last as long as possible (already has 90k) and was wondering how much the vfac would hurt it, I like my car and want it to last as long as possible. Thanks

·
Registered
470 Posts
i cant see how it would hurt it at all. its a mediocre tuning device, as long as it is used properly it can only help the motor. the question you should be asking is will adjusting my fuel curve and changing my vtec affect my motor. the problem isnt going to be the vafc its going to be what you are trying to tune the vafc for...

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
homeslice229 on Jan/31/04 said:
My buddy was gunna sell me his apexi vfac off his 99 SI. I have a gsr, and my only concern is if it will hurt my engine. I only have i/h/c/e and was looking to give my car a lil more boost. I want my motor to last as long as possible (already has 90k) and was wondering how much the vfac would hurt it, I like my car and want it to last as long as possible. Thanks
How do you expect a VAFC to give you a "lil more boost"?

it's a tuning device, not a power adder...

Theoreticly if you spent an hour with it on the dyno, you might be able to eek out a tiny bit smoother torque curve because of you're bolt ons, but you're not going to add any power with a VAFC...

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My friend took it to the dyno and between adjusting the vtec and "tune" for his mods, he got like 7whp out of it (he showed me the chart). I'm just looking to get the most out of the mods i already have on my car. I don't know much about this product, which is why i'm asking about it

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
homeslice229 on Jan/31/04 said:
My friend took it to the dyno and between adjusting the vtec and "tune" for his mods, he got like 7whp out of it (he showed me the chart). I'm just looking to get the most out of the mods i already have on my car. I don't know much about this product, which is why i'm asking about it
If all he did was adjust the VTEC crossover a little then it would be 100% physicly impossible for it to increase his peak power. You adjust the VTEC crossover on modified engines to get rid of a hole in performance caused by the engine running out of breath somewhat sooner as a result of the modifications. It's not a peak HP adder, it's a torque curve smoother lol (at least as far as the VTEC crossover goes, im not talking about using it's limited fuel tuning capabilities)

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
Anyway, to answer you're question, a VAFC is not something that could possibly increase wear on you're engine.

Keep in mind that I say this assuming that you have some inclination of what is and isnt smart as it pertains to these things. If you hooked it up and let a 5 year old press the buttons for long enough, i can imagine that you could theoreticly drop you're crossover to 100rpm and run the motor as lean or as rich as the vafc allows. Either way you'd eventually have cylinder temp issues or carbon build up and fouling.

So in other words, you'd have to really try hard to do any damage with one of these.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
He got 7whp, that doesn't mean your going to get it as well. What mods does he have. I can say that if you were to get an intake manifold and add it to your list of mods then you should see some more whp, not that much but probably enough to satisfy your needs. But as said before a vafc is a tuning device not a boost controller. And the only why to make your motor last is to not mod the car at all and stay on top of your maintainece schedule.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I honestly don't think you need it at this point.... maybe later on, when you improve( manifold, tb, headwork) flow, and get some bigger cams, then it would be alot better...I honestly think that some people buy it for it's looks, lol...

·
Registered
654 Posts
I know this post is a month old but i had to respond. The vafc is not only to change the vtec crossover point. Its also to adjust your a/f ratio. whether you want to lean out a motor that is really rich or vice versa. I got a 95 gsr with p72 with i/h/e no cat and my car is running rich like crazy after 6000 rpm. So i need to get a vafc in order to bring the vafc to 13 from the current 8 and 9 that i got on the dyno wideband. Since its running so rich after 6000 im actually losing horspower. once i flatten out that fuel curve im gonna make alot more horsepower. Take it to the dyno, get some pulls on there and see where your engine stands. If everything is fine and you dont plan on modding your engine much, then you dont need the vafc. If something with your air to fuel ratio is off then you might need the vafc to regulate your air to fuel ratio with the vafc. Enjoy the info and good luck.

·
Registered
413 Posts
br1t1shguy on Jan/31/04 said:
i can imagine that you could theoreticly drop you're crossover to 100rpm and run the motor as lean or as rich as the vafc allows.
you've never used a VAFC in your life have you? VTEC can only be lowered to 3000rpms.

You can most definately gain power with an AFC, he said he had I/H/C/E, just look at BlueTeg(i think) 403 dyno after safc tuning and you can see clearly there's lots of power to be gained, of cousrse every set-up is different.

But ya it can't hurt your engine, unless you use it wrong by giving it too little or too much fuel.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts