Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy has a teggy and we were changing his oil yesterday but after the drain, i noticed he was pouring in 10W30 oil (he's got an LS if that matters), I told him that his sticker on the intake tells him to use 5W30 grade oil.

He freaked out...and refused to add any oil until he got this straight... so i ask you all -> is there any danger to the engine to use 10W30 over 5W30 oil?

Thanks for any input (please no posts around the lines of "what a dumbass" or any other flaming, he already feels bad enough)

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
I use 10w30, it'll be fine. The higher viscosity is actually better for engine life and lubrication. Car manufacturesr reccomend 5w30 for people that live in sub -20 degree temperatures, and because it makes the engine slightly more efficient

·
Super Moderator
25,245 Posts
Nothing wrong with that and do a few searches; Oil has been covered a lot. He can add the right amount of oil to his car in the meantime though.

Welcome to the site.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
you can use either ... it really depends on your location, and the temperature in your area. in either case, there's nothing to worry about - the car's not going to explode.

·
Registered
205 Posts
br1t1shguy on Mar/15/04 said:
I use 10w30, it'll be fine. The higher viscosity is actually better for engine life and lubrication. Car manufacturesr reccomend 5w30 for people that live in sub -20 degree temperatures, and because it makes the engine slightly more efficient
they also recommend higher viscosity on higher mileage engine

·
Registered
638 Posts
aznpkboy69 on Mar/15/04 said:
just a funny question and I"LL NOT DO IT...can u use 2 qt of 5w-30 and 2 qt of 10w-30 cuz i heard people said mixing is good?
I thought that mixing the oils just cancels out all the good stuff. i.e additives. I dont think that it is recommended, but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow, that took all of ... 1min to get an answer and you guys are nice too

I'm glad I joined this place.

Cheers all

·
Registered
7,384 Posts
aznpkboy69 on Mar/15/04 said:
just a funny question and I"LL NOT DO IT...can u use 2 qt of 5w-30 and 2 qt of 10w-30 cuz i heard people said mixing is good?
I don't think it would hurt. Of course I wouldn't think it would be reccomended. If you were low on oil and had to add some and only had 5w-30 instead of 10w-30 (or vise versa) I doubt it would do anything to hurt the engine.

·
Registered
720 Posts
as long as the oil carries the "api" symbol you can mix them, brans/viscosity. it wont affect the oil.

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
you can mix viscosities, but you can not mix oil brands, types. For example, you could mix 0w30 Castrol GTX with Castrol GTX 10w30, but you CAN NOT mix Castrol High Mileage with GTX, or Penzoil, or Mobil etc... has to be the same.

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
fordcourier72 on Mar/15/04 said:
as long as the oil carries the "api" symbol you can mix them, brans/viscosity. it wont affect the oil.
Not true at all, API is just a testing program, it doesnt make all the oils the same.

As far as I know, due to different additive packages, molecule volatitlity, pH levels, detergency levels, and fluid densities, that mixing a different brand or type of oil could result in seperation, additives and detergents loosing their effectiveness, frothing and other problems.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Yep, you won't have 1 bit of problem, because they are the same viscosity. the 30 at the end is the operating temperatures viscosity level. The first part, 5W, 10W, 0W are all just telling you how the oil flows at cold start, for a given temperature. The colder the climate the lower you will want this first number, as it can mean the difference between oil acting like molasses or still flowing easily. As far as the 30 goes, yes this is a more energy efficient and thinner flowing oil then a 40 or 50, but I have run both in my Integra without any problems. Don't worry though, I have seen many so called oil experts even make this mistake thinking 5w30, 0W30 and 10W30 are all different operating viscosities.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I've worked at several shops, and if you run a 10w-30 weight oil in your integra its going to suit it fine. I run 10-30 mobil 1 synthetic, and it works fine on my 130,000 mile teg.... doesnt even leak. The ESM for our shop, actually said 10w-30 or 5w-30 for the integra... 5w-30 preferred for climates under 25 degrees.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
wow... lots of great input,

side question though - my LS is at 122000km (75640miles)
should I switch over to a synthetic oil (what brand?) or stick to regular oils?
I've been using QuakerState (the one in green bottle, regular kind) every 4000km so far.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Are you burning any oil? If not, good, you can make the switch if you want to. If you are going to continue to change oil every 4000 kms, it doesn't matter if you use regular or synthetic, as both will keep engine properly lubricated and protected at that low of an Oil Change Interaval (OCI). If you want to extend the milage between oil changes going synthetic would be the way to go.

If you are burning oil, probably not a good time to switch over to synthetic, as it usually has a tendancy to flow out of these small gaps and burn faster then regular thicker dino oil. A good idea if you are burning oil and want to go synthetic, you should flush your engine with Auto-RX, this ususally will clean out the ring pack, and help reseal the seals. For more info on this, check out http://www.bobistheoilguy.com I heard about this site off Team-Integra.net, and now I am passing it on to you. Great site for all your oil questions.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts