Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I was upset. After having my car for a short time (less than a year), a mechanic told me that my put putt (99 Integra GS) needed major work. It was getting no compression to the exhaust valve. He said he saw some things that was serious like infrequent oil changes, bad timming belt, and bad maintenance that he felt contributed to the problem. He said that I had couple of options:

1. Spend $1,750 and have the cylinder head repaired at a machine shop and pray that it solves the problem.

2. Spend between $3,500 to $6,200 getting a used engine (80K or 15K miles) and a brand new engine.

I wanted to ask the group what you think before I give him a answer in the morning. Its alot of cash to spend without consultation and I love the car!

Thanks

·
Registered
433 Posts
well, if i was u, and the motor doesnt have hope anymore. just swap it with a better motor. but if thats the only problem and it can be resolved, then ill take option 1. just in my oppinion. u can get a gsr motor for 3k.

·
Registered
225 Posts
yeah i think ur number 2 option is a little out there with the prices as u can get another b18b for less then a grand and then prolly have it put in for a total of less then ur option number 1

·
Registered
623 Posts
personally if the head is bad...i would look to go LS/VTEC and get a good GSR or B16 head...it will save you money because you won't have to buy a new engine...and it will give you VTEC...but i dunno...maybe you want to keep it stock in case your planning to boost your GS motor...but...and i'm not totally sure i am correct...it seems as though $1,700 for head repair is a bit steep...you can get a decent LS/VTEC swap for that...i would at least get some other estimates from some other shops before taking that dive...hope this helps

·
Registered
230 Posts
Just wondering ... did you go to the mechanic for a reason? Or he just checked the car and came up with this stuff?

Before you do anything drastic (spend alot of money) maybe you might want to get a second opinion.

And like the others mentioned, those prices are kinda steep.

·
Registered
474 Posts
^+1. If it is true that your car is that crapped on. id say get the new motor or find another used teg.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
go with what reggaebai said with the second opinion and even do some testing yourself. a simple compression and leak down test will tell you more than what some mechanics will blow at your face. i've never trusted mechanics... always do what is within your means yourself so you KNOW what went wrong if anything does. check the articles, it'll tell you all about the tests you can run.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Uhm, another stock b18b (or even b20) cost about $500 from several places online, including one of our sponsors, passwordjdm.com, and shipping is anywhere from like 200-400 (depending on location)

So youre at 700-900$.. no where near 6200, or even 2000 for a "rebuilt" head..

Post in your local forum, im sure you could even find someone to help you put it in for anywhere from a 12-pack to maybe a few hundred bucks.. (I used to know a guy who would drop an obd2 gsr swap into a obd0 CRX for around $300 in about a day and thats alot more labor intensive than what youre looking at..)

Personally I would find another mechanic, this guy saw you coming and hes about to take you for a ride..

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If I buy the part online, what are my options for a 99 Integra GS. I want something that is equal or better for the buck. When I say better, I mean a faster and more efficient motor.

THanks you all for the Suggestions. Please keep them comming! I will copy and paste them all and be ready for the mechanic in the morning!

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
the easiest option is an equal swap with an identical motor to what you have right now...a b18b

if you want more power then you could do something like a b18c swap or an h22 swap. those are going to cost a hell of alot more than just replacing your motor tho, and have the potential for causing alot of headaches if all you really want is to get your car back up and running, and extra power is a secondary motive for you. you can make the GS just as powerful as the GSR will be with less money than swapping in a GSR motor...but this has ben discussed ad nauseum on here so I will let you search for that info

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
why did u take the car to the mechanic in the first place???

what was wrong with it?

The reason I went into the shop was because the car had misfired and had an extremely rough idle. It would hardly accelerate and shaked very hard. Thats why

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Your best bet for a new(er) engine, would be the b20 engine, identical to your stock engine, with a larger bore (84mm b20 vs 81mm b18b) youll have more torque, and a newer engine..

b18b on passwordjdm.com
b20 block on passwordjdm.com

With either of these engines you will need the distributor from your current engine, and with the b20 engine, you will also need your b18b intake manifold.. Or upgrade to an aftermarket IM.

This will be your best bet. Find a local honda performance shop, to do the swap for you if you cant find anyone else. Anyway you look at it, this is the best and cheapest way to go.

Hell, the price he gave you just to rebuild the head, with stock parts, of 1700? You can almost buy a fully built LS motor for that price. You could definitly find a fully built LS head for under $1,000 probably closer to $500..

Stay away from this guy. Stay far away..

Edit:
Also, if your mechanically inclined, whatsoever, you could do a b18b/b20 swap yourself, just get a couple buddys to help maneuver the engine/tranny out of the bay. Other than that, either one would be a straight bolt in.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.