Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I was upset. After having my car for a short time (less than a year), a mechanic told me that my put putt (99 Integra GS) needed major work. It was getting no compression to the exhaust valve. He said he saw some things that was serious like infrequent oil changes, bad timming belt, and bad maintenance that he felt contributed to the problem. He said that I had couple of options:

1. Spend $1,750 and have the cylinder head repaired at a machine shop and pray that it solves the problem.

2. Spend between $3,500 to $6,200 getting a used engine (80K or 15K miles) and a brand new engine.

I wanted to ask the group what you think before I give him a answer in the morning. Its alot of cash to spend without consultation and I love the car!

I am in the Raleigh area can someone help at a decent price. Please respond soon!
Thanks

·
Registered
779 Posts
number get another mechanic to look at it, i wouldnt settle for just one either.

u can get another engine alot cheaper than 6200

do a compression test urself, u can buy the tools pretty cheaply

and please describe what the car is doin

·
Registered
541 Posts
3500 to 6200? damn thats alot of money! for a b18b1? i got my block replaced back in july of last year and i paid 3000 with labor. the motor that a bought had 75k on it. im not too happy with the price but i needed an engine in there quick. look around for a better price on a motor. i think i heard some people on importsnc.com talk about getting a b18b1 for like 1000 or so maybe even less.

sucks that someone didnt take really good care of that 99 gs. well good luck!

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
you can get a junk yard motor in good condition for alot less then that....and you could get one from a reputable engine store for little more probably. id take it to another mechanic that can tell you exactly what is wrong.

·
Registered
230 Posts
call japan direct. i spoke to them yesterday and they have b18's and b20's for under $1000.

there are plenty of people in the raleigh area that can swap the engine for you for well less than the price you're being quoted at.

also, it sounds like this mechanic doesn't really know what the problem is, get another opinion.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
yeah you can find someone to put the motor in cheaper then a shop would. usually money and some food, maybe beer, and you can find someone to put it in faster and just as good as a shop

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.