Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After discussing the issue with many of you and other friends, I am now interested in having a group meeting (Saturday and or Sunday) to assist me in swapping the engine. Here are my issues:

I am not handy at all under the hood. I need help with people who know what they are doing.

I have no tools (just got a ratchet set from a friend. Thanks Dave!). I need a place that I can rent (cheap) with all of the equipment need to do the work or someone hook me up with a shop with the equipment (lift, etc.)

I found the company to buy the new engine but I need help getting everything else like water pump, timing belt, etc.

Has anyone in NC done this before? I would supply food and drinks for the occasion. Another hobby I have is photography and I want to make a photo documentary of what would happen. OK let me know what you think and if you think its cool I will start the planning. Holla back yall!

·
Registered
803 Posts
ive done this sort of work before. and i might be able to help ya. but cant comit just yet. btw whats the swap?

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
ive got all the tools we'll need, an air compressor, engine hoist, jack, jackstands. i did my swap in my garage in a couple hours. i can definatly bring everything we need. and last time i took my transmission out i timed myself and it took me about 45 minutes, but i was using a lift at work.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I think speedy1906 is on to something. If we could get everyone willing to help on projects like this for people that are short on cash and not very mechanical that would be great. Just call everyone up when someone wanted a swap and get it done in a day. only problem is everyone would want work done to their car, but no one would be willing to help. Classic communist problem. Good idea, but easier said than done.
btw im not being sarcastic, try to find some local friends that know about swaps and get them to help.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I hear what you all are saying. This can be a bi-monthly thing (or whenever the group wants to do it) where someone who is in need would explain their story and the group will discuss and vote on who will get the help. We can make it some type of pimp my ride. I would also like to document the things that happen and put it on a website (that I will create) and place photos and comments of what was going on. I enjoy photography and would be happy to get that going. What do you think? I would like to get a location (shop) we can go to and do the work. Maybe have them sponsor us.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I could help. Im taking engine tech at cpcc as we speak and I just tore down an inline four (much like ours) yesterday. We are currently learning to take mearurements and check all the internals for wear and that sort of stuff.
Any ways I think it would be cool to get together and help each other out and get to know each other. Then we just might be able to get people together on meets lol.
~Erik

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the offer. I would be happy to donate the old engine minus parts I need for the new one to anyone who is willing to help me on my cause. Rocky Mount is pretty far for me. I would like to do it in the triangle area. I will keep you in mind though.

·
Registered
78 Posts
hey man, try carolinahondas.com. there's bunch of people with knowledge to help you out. especially in the triad area. I've done plenty of swaps before but im located in charlotte.

·
Registered
59 Posts
i am in too...have done some work..can help with electrical troubleshooting..if needed..also can help getting parts from the dealer at a discounted rate.

Just a sugg...dont go to phantasm and/or tao auto.....

Regards

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sorry for taking so long to respond. Here’s what’s going on with the ride:

Since my last post I was trying to find a shop that would be able to support me with the equipment to remove and install the engine with help from members in the forum. I had no success finding anyone to help. I contacted Wake Tech and received an e-mail back from a professor that he would get back with me but he never did and I did not follow up with him.
So I began looking for mechanics that could do the work at a reasonable price and patient with me since I am not a mechanic. I called several places and most of them were very short with me asking questions or tried to charge a very high amount. I finally went to Peak Automotive (http://www.peak-automotive.com/index.html) in Apex and the staff was actually very good. They explained to me what I needed and gave me options on what to buy and from who. I decided to buy a motor from JDM CUSTOMS (http://www.jdmcustoms.com/home.html). That has been a little over 3 weeks ago. The engine arrived this past Friday March 17, 2006.

The engine is a B16A JDM (B16A2) Complete Engine. I had to get a OBD-2 to OBD-1 ECU Jumper since I am going from a B20A engine to a the B16A2. The jumper has not arrived yet but it should be in this week.

I want to sell my B20A engine to buy parts to upgrade my current engine. Could anyone please advise on fair prices to charge or give any suggestions on what I can do with the old engine.

Thanks for Reading

Speedy1906

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
no offence dude, but why are you going to pay a shop to put the motor in when you have many people on the board here who are willing to help you out for little to no money out of pocket. we didnt need a shop to do the swap, yeah it would have made it easier, but i could have brought everything we needed to do the swap in someones driveway.

·
Registered
59 Posts
ncVtec1313...i totally agree with you..i think this might be since we dont seem that organized..we need to get organized...for this thing to fall into place...

Regards
Robi

·
Registered
147 Posts
Yeah i wouldnt mind helping either. I Got a compressor and Impact Tools and Besides im looking for some assistance replacing my head gasket if theyre are any takers. Im in Cary.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.