Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I've got a question that I could use some experienced answers for. I've checked the forums and articles, but can't find any information. (Don't burn me if I missed an article...)

I have a turbo kit in the mail (turbonetics/fmaxx) and a boost controller (GReddy Profec B spec ii), pods and gauges, some suspension stuff, jim fab bar, etc (RE: what would you do with $5K thread ;)...but my question is what exactly needs to be done to upgrade stock internals to handle more than 6-8 psi? A list would be great of things to consider, and if anyone has done it, what was the price paid in total?

Its the next step in this process, and I would love some guidance. As much as I am excited to have boost (ah, the darkside!) I am REALLY looking forward to boosting upwards to 15-20 psi. Oh, and I've got a 97 LS B18B motor. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
ahh where to start....

-Resleeve your motor (Golden Eagle, Darton, etc..)
-New pistons...you could stay w/ the same cr or lower it a bit, that all depends on how reliable you tune
-TUNING....it's not building the motor but is the basis for all forced induction applications!!! I would recommend Hondata w/ boost option, or aem ems.
-Upgraded pistons...forged definately
-head studs, rod bolts....

Don't skimp on this stuff if you wanna turn up the boost (especially tuning) you will end up spending more money in the end if you do

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
Moved to the correct forum, please make sure you post in the correct/proper forum.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
with a full build your car will be able to hold around 30psi as long as you get the right equipment, and don't skimp out on it.
first things to get would be rods. the most common failure in a boosted honda motor is the stock rods. and unfortunately a throw rod is one of the most expensive things to fix. they tend to go through the block. after rod failure the stock sleeves are the next to go or crack. if you get a good sleeve, depending on the designe you get you can boost upwards of 30psi. some aftermarket sleeves can hold only around 15psi. last thing you should worryabout would be pistons. i ahve really never seen a honda put a hole in a piston, and ihave seen one cracked piston. if you get new forged pistons you shouild not lower compression, if anything it would be better to raise it a tad. there is very little to gain in lowering compression in a honda. and were it is usefull is when you are in VERY high horspower/boost situation, and when the car is not really driven on the street often. this is because out of boost power will not exist.
a set of head studs will help to keep the head on tight, this is a must in high boost.

·
Registered
156 Posts
that ls is stonger than you think. get HoNDATA soon. take it a to a tuner so he can tune it. and you'll be able to run alot more with the stock block. fuel management is the key to NOT blowing up your engine and going KAAAAABBOOOOOOOOMMM!

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I would say get a good EMS setup so you can tune that thing. It dont matter if u spend all the money in the world on sleeves, rods, pistons, rings, bearings, block girdle. All it takes is one time too run too lean or have the ignition advance too much when running decent amounts of boost and goodbye. That would be my first thing. Then worry about building up the motor and getting the suspension dials in for your setup. If you have the money. Do it all at once. If not then go step by step. But my first thing would be a good EMS setup.

Sal

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.