Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, i've just discovered (no sh*t sherlock!) that our car (gen2) have some pretty ghetto small rear brake pads...!!! So i've been thinking, instead of those expensive 11" rotor and dual piston brake caliper upgrades...

Can i just modify my rear caliper, so that it uses the same pads as my front? Say for example, i go to junkyard, jack a front caliper from another teg, and snap it on my rear!!

Because the braking power of a brake system works according to this formula:

( Disc Radius X Clamping force X Coefficient of friction ) / 12

Now, since the rear pad is so damn small, i assume the gay caliper is probably smaller or have a less clamping force... and the Disc radius remain unchange...

So if i replace the rear caliper with a front... then the clamping force should increase (assuming it works better than the rear one), and by using front size brake pads (basically 2X BIGGER!) the K of friction will be double.

So if we apply the formula, by replacing the rear caliper with a front one, the braking power of the rear should increase by more than half!!!!

Can a front caliper fit the rear? If no, then forget it, but if yes, how easy/difficult it will be?

As for the rotors, well, if the front caliper is made for vented disc, then since front and rear have the same bolt patten, maybe i can use vented disc for rear as well (assuming front capiler fits)...

Someone told me that IF everything works out, i will have a soft paddle feel due to the difference of the capiler and the difference of the brake booster. if that is the case, i am thinking of replacing the brake booster with an ITR one, just like someone posted in g2ic.com last week i think... he installed a ITR booster/MC in his car...

This should also gives a even more balance braking power too. Any opinion and comments or suggestion on this?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
Remember, the rear brakes are proportioned to the front. during stopping the weight transfers to the front and off of the back wheels. this removes a lot of the friction between the rear wheels and the ground. if the breaking power exceeds the friction capacity of the tire-ground connection, the tires will break loose and skid. this is not good.

A better "bang for your buck" would be to upgrade the front calipers/rotors. if you are running some extremely sticky tires, then upgrading the rears would be feasable, but definitely AFTER you upgraded the fronts.

Rather than upgrade the calipers, and have to deal with the problem of getting the hydraulics right, I would suggest using a larger ROTOR. yes, that's right.
Article on rotors
Article on brake pads
article on brake caliper removal
Article on Gen 3 fornt rotor replacement

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
rear brakes do about 10% of the actual work under hard braking... focus on the fronts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts