Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My driver's side door lock cylinder was screwed up, or really it's just the linkage, anyway, I opened it up this morning to try to repair it with no luck, it seems to be inside the latch assembly, and I didn't have time to unbolt all that crap. Anyway, I put everything back on, shut the door and locked it. Now it won't unlock. Period. From the inside or outside. I don't have power locks, but there is an aftermarket alarm with power door lock actuators. I've tried flipping the lock, and using the alarm, but it just won't unlock. And I can't get the panel off from the inside, as I can't get to the clips. What's my next plan of action? Could a slim jim jimmy the door open? Will the panel have to be cut open to get to the assembly? I'm just afraid of how much this will run if I try to take it to a dealer... Thanks.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok, I called a locksmith and they said they can get it open Monday. Until then, I'll just try jimmying it with a coat hanger!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alright, the locksmith couldn't get it at all, I called the dealer, and the dealer referred me to a body shop. I called a couple, and they both told me roughly the same thing: The door latch assembly is probably jammed. It's made as an integral unit. They will need to open the the door, possibly cutting the door, and then break the assembly with an air hammer. The assembly will of course need to be replaced. They were quoting me between $300-$500! Does this sound right?

·
Registered
6,228 Posts
if its gonna cost that much, i say u try and fool with it yourself, i would do whatever i had to, cuz u can get a door panel from the junkyard and just kinda get yours off however u have to and try to save money. i dont see how a little force wont help if theyll have to replace it anyways.

·
Registered
442 Posts
do your actuators at least move when you hit your
remote's button? i blew up the actuators in my door,
and until i removed them, the lock/unlock mechanism
in the door would not move. just an idea.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I might just fool with it myself, but I don't think I could do anything without cutting the inside panel. Even then, I'm not sure if I could get to it. Now that I'm thinking about it, the shops may have been thinking that my locks are electric, seems like an electric could be integral, don't really see the point of manual being integral though.
cpgoose - yeah, the actuators still work, and move the lock lever from the inside. Thanks for the ideas, guys. Think I'll at least take it in and let them give me a closer quote. In the meantime, I'll check some junkyards for red/black doors!

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
intvSlams on Sep/16/02 said:
Alright, the locksmith couldn't get it at all, I called the dealer, and the dealer referred me to a body shop. I called a couple, and they both told me roughly the same thing: The door latch assembly is probably jammed. It's made as an integral unit. They will need to open the the door, possibly cutting the door, and then break the assembly with an air hammer. The assembly will of course need to be replaced. They were quoting me between $300-$500! Does this sound right?
damn... that's alot. i would definitely check a junk yard. you should be able to get all that out without destroying stuff. and just replace the latch/lock mechanism... you should still be able to use your key on the lock on the door handle... right?

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
oh wait, i got this confused with another thread..

if this was me, this is what i would do:
- remove drivers seat (yes, this can be done without the drivers door being open, not easily, but can be done)
- remove the screw in the hand thingy in the door panel
- remove the screw where the inside latch is
- you will be able to pull the door panel back far enough to be able to get to the motor.... do what you need to do

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, the lock cylinder was already disconnected from the mechanism, and that's what I was trying to repair. That and the actuator wasn't unlocking the door, it would pull, but not quite enough. I sprayed all joints with wd-40, and the actuator was then able to unlock everything. I didn't find a way to fix the lock cylinder, but I fihured the actuator was enough. I shut the door - then locked unlocked a couple of times to test - so far so good - on the 3rd try no unlock. I guess I'll try to get a panel from a junkyard before I take it in, it's worth a try.
MorningZ, I like that idea, it seems like I'd still wind up tearing the panel though, but it's better than forking out $500. Maybe I'll just keep the window down and hop in and out like Bo Duke! Thanks everyone!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts