Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my friend is sellin me his n1 universal muffler....i dont have much money for a catback...so is it a worth it getting the muffler and goto a muffler shop to make it a catback??....plus how is da sound of the univ n1 muffler....is it a deep throat sound like da catback or no???...oh yah i have a 94 teg rs
thx

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
you can go to a muffler shop and have them run a custom piping. if you size the piping identically with the cat-back version of the N1, it'll sound the same. i don't know if the cat-back comes with a resonator or not, but IMO, N1 style cat-backs usually sound like a weed whacker. not really deep at all because the muffler is a straight-thru design and doesn't have a lot of sounding deadening material. most round canister type mufflers will sound this way.

don't forget to size the piping according to your hp goal.

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
If you want it to stay deep have the muffler shop give you the biggest resonator they can when they do your custom piping.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hmmm really??...my friend has da full catback on his lude...and it sounds pretty nice!!....but n e ways...so it would be wise to get a resonator then??...i only have an aem cai...so i should go with 2.25'' piping then rite??

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
"nice" is a very subjective term... as for me, i want my stock to sound as stock as possible.

if you're only planning on mild bolt-on's, yes, 2.25" OD piping would be the way to go.

the resonator will help you get rid of a lot of those nasty high pitch crap from your exhaust. like surferX said, have them put in the biggest one they can fit under your car if you want the deep, throaty sound... good luck.

·
Registered
28 Posts
i had the Apexi N1 on my 96 civic EX. and let me tell ya that sucker was crazy. This thing is loud, not loud and buzzy at all. loud and Deep at low RPMs but when you downshift holdy sh*t it screams! its just loud. i was very pleased with the results, and was surprized it didnt have the buzzy sound like most 1.6s. i cant wait till i to hear it on my teg, cuz well some guy totaled my civic. god i miss that sound. ahh nothing like pissing off the old people as you ride to school in the morning.

some peoples view of a crappy sounding exhaust is differant. to me as long as its not the annying buzzy beans in a coffe can sound, but loud and deep like the N1 i like it. although as i keep goign sleeper ill prolly put a resonator on it. but right now ill have fun with it, sice i dotn have to many bolt ons...YET

good times

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
mandrel bend will give more flow-- less restricting-- therefore a bit better throttle response-- not necesarily more power (maybe though) but i have an N1 for my GSR-- its catback and it has the resonator on 2.5" piping with mandrel bends-- LOVE IT!!!

no weed wacker like dragontegz says but it is a bit higher pitched----

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so what do u guys think is a better choice for me...since i only got aem cai...since im goin for da sound and a bit of performance gain...should i get the 5zigen fireball axlback or jus go for the n1 universal muffler??
thx

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
if sound is your primary concern, just go with the N1. don't worry about the custom piping either. just have the muffler shop weld the muffler on the existing piping.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
sorry for askin soo many questions....it can be annoying sometimes....so if jus weld the muffler on...wont it be an annoying buzzing sound..since there is no resonator?..or would it sound decent?
thx

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
you won't regret getting a resonator as long as it has the same inner diameter as the muffler tubing and straight thru design like a Magnaflow resonator.

I believe there are 2 articles on what things determine exhaust sound quality: SurferX's exhaust sound artice and my advanced exhaust tech article that address this question directly. You may want to take some time to read those and educate yourself a little better. The fact is, most long time members here prefer performance as their priority and know that it's the diameter from the header collector to the exhaust that's the key (including the cat diameter)...the sound issues are solved pretty easily if you know what to get. We tell you what to get and look for in those articles. It's not rocket science. Please read them.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
first off, stock b-pipe already has a resonator. and yes, it will sound a bit different from getting a custom piping or the cat-back because the exhaust will flow different. however, from what i've gathered, the exhaust flow won't have much of an effect on exhaust sound since it predominantly depends on the resonator and muffler size and design.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ok one last question...hopefully
...now im thinkin about gettin the 5zigen fireball axle back...what if i jus get that installed on my car for now...and when i have enough money..ill make it a full catback with the resonator...would the axleback alone still be good...and has n e one done that to their car??...how does it sound??
thx alot

·
Registered
28 Posts
just dont get tenzo r.worst sounding exhaust on a teg ive ever heard. doesnt even sound like an exhaust, sounds like its poping popcorn. my buddy has it on his LS and i get pissed off every time i hear it.

i got a question. i ordered an apexi N1 turbo muffler. with a 80mm inlet i was woundering if could just get a shop to do 2.25 from cat back for now and go 3in wen i go turbo in the spring. will that effect performace to much since the guy will have to put a larger diameter pipe at the end to fit the exhaust?

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
it won't be an ideal NA set up. i would just wait until i do get a turbo and the custom piping. by the way, if you asked boostcontrol about the exhaust sizing for turbos, he would recommend against getting the 3" piping unless you're boosting more than 10 psi...

·
Registered
28 Posts
i am going more than 10 psi, after i do some internals. my motor has 50k on it so i have time. i just wanted to put the exhaust now and do the 2.25 all the way from the cat back and have the guy put a small 3in pipe or somthing so he can fit the 2.25 on the 80mm inlet on the muffler. would that small section of increased diameter at the end matter to much? thats what i wanted to know

1 - 20 of 21 Posts