Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
Someone sent me a note asking about the rear brace on the Type R, and how a GS-R owner would go about installing it. Welp, I don't know exactly what the GS-R trunk space looks like, but I took a bunch of photos of what it looks like in the TypeR when you uninstall it, so you should be able to figure out how to modify your GS-R trunk to accomodate one!

Here are the series of photos:
Installed...

Bar removed...

Close up..

Close up without the tie down lug...

Back panel close up without lining...

And the holes you need in the trunk panel...

Let me know if there are any questions!

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
(Oh, and a quick not on the red and purple wires you see there, that's from an amp installed in the trunk, so don't expect to see those...)

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
Thanks for clearing that up DV. There was some confusion in the past as to where the bar mounts up. Just wanted to add that on the non-R's the quasi-square cut out shown in this pic on the right

is not visible. It is a perforated circular shape that is easily cut away w/ a pocket knife. If you peel the plastic lining back you can see the metal bracket where the bar mounts.
According to one of our female members, the two brackets are also used to secure the teathers on a child seat.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Thanks dvcooke.
Blue Teg -
The two brackets are not also used to secure the tethers. In these pictures you can see where the tethers attach, they atttach to the "tie down lug". Some people had stated that the bar attached to the tie down lug mount point. The problem with installing this bar on a non-R is that although the bracket to attach the bar exists, it is not threaded to accept the bolts.
I believe you were referring to me as the female member. My name is generally thought to be a female name, but I am male.

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
BlueTeg on Aug/26/02 said:
According to one of our female members, the two brackets are also used to secure the teathers on a child seat.
I stated that "according" because this is what she told me in a previous post. I never said that I knew first hand. I worded the last statement in the context that I was going off of what she had found out.

Because I do not have a child nor do I have a child seat installed in my integra I have no clue where these teathers attach.

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
kelly on Aug/27/02 said:
I believe you were referring to me as the female member. My name is generally thought to be a female name, but I am male.
I wasn't referring to you. It was a member who came forth and stated that she had a child.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I'll step up and say that I assumed that you were a female! Damn, and I thought I was gettin in good with some hottie teg driver!!

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
I thought I was gettin in good with some hottie teg driver!!
You never know, he might be hot ;) , just not a female ;)

Anyways....
Is this a spot in the frame/chassis that really needs a brace? I recently saw a video with a lead man for Comptech saying that the rear strut brace is unecissary for integras because there is very little flex in that area.

If it does help, I would be all for getting/installing one :D

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
If the ITR has a brace there, then the Honda engineers thought it needed one there. I trust the Honda engineers. The ITR already has a much more heavily reinforced chassis than the other models, so if it needs it, I figure a non-R needs it even more. I am aware that the ITR has stiffer bars and springs, but so do most modded non-R's.
I don't know how much difference it would actually make. Everyone's definition of need is different.
The problem is that the non-R's don't have the nut welded to the bracket necessary to make this a bolt on. I am not sure how difficult it will be to make it work. If it was bolt on, I would try it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The rear braces do make a difference I just got myself a rear strut brace to add to the exisiting two braces on my R and you can feel the difference on tight corners.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
I suffered through enough of this stream to get their point. My Neuspeed rear bar made a difference to me; that tells me all I need to know. The ITR has a rear brace standard for the JDM. I have the utmost respect for the Honda engineers. Theory and reality often don't coincide; that's why there is always real world testing.

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
I am somewhat conflicted about the true answer.

First of all, yeah the JDM ITR has a rear brace.. why would honda use it and add weight (even if its not much) if it was unecissary.

But on the other hand, I have no doubt that comptech does its research and why it would opt not to build a product that would no doubt make them plenty of money I don't know? (Other than what they stated of cource)

The front is definetly going to have more effect because the shocks are supporting more weight ala the engine. But that doesn't mean the rear doesn't do anything.

I would love to see some skidpad before and after results. Just like the buttdyno, I have a hard time trusting the buttskidpad.

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
This is definitely an interesting dilemma.....

Do you trust a company like Honda who has some of the most brilliant engineers in the auto industry?
OR
Do you trust Comptech, a company who has made a reputation for themselves by making topnotch products with an oem-like fit and construction?

It seems that with such a big open "box" (the trunk) that there would some chassis flex mainly over the rear strut towers but also at the very back of the chassis as well.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Comptech does make a lower rear tie bar. So apparently they believe there is only flex at the bottom. Seems to me that the top of this "box" is much more open than the bottom.
Exactly what testing has Comptech done? I also do research and development on my car all the time.

Numbers, equations, dynos, etc. are a means to an end, and it is impossible to express everything in an equation or even to measure everthing. Even Honda doesn't build cars using only equations. I don't drive the equations and numbers around. My car basically just feels more solid and responds more quickly with the rear bar. I don't believe a skidpad can measure this. I seriously doubt that a rear tie bar will make any difference on a skidpad, as it's not primarily designed to improve steady state cornering numbers. It's designed more to keep everything under control during transients - changing directions quickly on a bumpy road while alternately heavily braking and accelerating, for example.

When Comptech makes cars as well as Honda, then I will give them more respect.
Try a rear strut tower bar and see if it makes a difference. In the end, this is the only test that mattters.

·
Registered
41 Posts
i would say that they feel this way because on lightened and seam welded racecars with roll cages this is not necessary. but on my gsr this is where my car creaks and will be the next target for a little chassis squeak kaizon session.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts