Team Integra Forums banner

type r tranny on gsr

3K views 31 replies 15 participants last post by  MichaelDelaney 
Remember when you are at higher RPM's the engine doesn't have to work as hard and use as much fuel to maintain a constant speed. It kind of evens out. You're only giving it as much fuel as the throttle allows.
If that were true, than why did Toyota give their Celica a sixth gear? on their web page it says they did it for lower rpms at a more relaxed cruising speed. This allows the car to get 31 mpg instead of 30 and still have 10 more horsepower. Is it because of the ecu leaning out the fuel at this rpm? Most cars overdrives are at 2500-2700 rpm even the Honda Ex is at this at I think 70 mph. So if you are right than getting a LS fifth gear to save gas would be a waste of money right? Not trying to argue or prove you wrong, it just that I never heard that before. I was always under the impression less rpms is more gas mileage. Goes to show you learn something new everyday.

So if I got the 4.2 final drive who makes them? Then wouldn't that make the rest of the GS-R gears taller 1st-4th? Because I was thinking of swapping the 2-4 gears for type r's in my gear ratios post and someone had mentioned that the taller final drive would mess them up. Is there an article that I missed on gear ratios? Anyway thanks everyone for their time and replies.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.