Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a buddy of mine says he can supposedly get a type r tranny for a very good price. im really thinking that i will do this if i can get it for the price he says he can get it for but i dont want to lose gas mileage on long distance trips since my car will be a commuter from home to college for the next 3 years. that is the only drawback i can see or imagine from this mod. just wondering if someone else has done this to there gsr and what the outcome of it was on gas mileage and on performance. i think it will make a considerable difference in acceleration.

·
Super Moderator
14,177 Posts
if you do get it build it up a little bit before you install it.

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
just get the jdm 4.78 final drive and you'll make your gsr tranny have the same ratios as the jdm itr tranny with a 4.4 final drive. much cheaper way to go...to get the same result...if your powerband is in the upper rpms it is awesome for acceleration....you can run 15 in. wheels with slicks and still get great pull....

BTW another cheapo way to get shorter gearing is to use a smaller overall wheel tire diameter...like 14 in. rims up front.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
type r = lsd.. how can you go wrong! if i remember correctly the type r tranny will rev up quicker which means you shift gears more often.. it'll make cornering more fun too..

if you're concerned about saving gas it's easy.. drive calmly one does not have to "race" to and from each location. you might also want to take out unnecessary junk in your car(weight reduction)

·
Registered
8,083 Posts
but what about when you're driving 65 @3500 RPM... you're wasting the hell out of gas...

why didn't lazy ass honda make a six speed?

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Louse76 on 13/June/2002 said:
but what about when you're driving 65 @3500 RPM... you're wasting the hell out of gas...

Honestly, you get over that. You really don't waste that much gas at 3,500. If you want to see wasted gas try 110~120 mph. I only got 220mpg out of that tank coming back from San Diego.

Quote: Louse76 on 13/June/2002 why didn't lazy ass honda make a six speed?
*cough*S2000, RSX TypeS*cough*

·
Registered
58 Posts
Fentoozler45 on 13/June/2002 said:
Honestly, you get over that. You really don't waste that much gas at 3,500. If you want to see wasted gas try 110~120 mph. I only got 220mpg out of that tank coming back from San Diego.
DAMN!!
thats crazy mpg... turn your car into NASA!!

j/k... know what ya ment but couldn't resist

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
if you are worried about mpg, then you should at the very least tune the car and do proper maintenance so it is optimised for the state that it's in:

basic things like air filter cleaning, plug gapping, checking the wires and their connections are on properly, proper ignition timing, fuel filter change as recommended by maintenance schedule, valve clearance adjustment and tune up at the recommended maintenance schedule, using synthetic oil and MTF, proper tire pressure...

The gear ratios with a 4.78 FD are like the ITR...The ITR is no gas guzzling V8 or SUV. So let's put everything in their proper perspective....if you want mpg, you're on the wrong board....

·
Registered
768 Posts
How is the 4.78 FD installed? I think I might go with a flywheel/clutch combo soon, so I was wondering if I could save on labor and do it at the same time. Anyone know how much they usually cost?

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
The JDM FD won't get you the close gear spacing like an ITR tranny would, but it will definitely be a cheaper fix. You shouldn't get the ITR tranny for too cheap, and if you do it probably means it's stolen and I would stay away from it.

I don't think your MPG will be affected too much, the ITR has almost the same MPG rating of the GS-R so I doubt it makes a difference. Remember when you are at higher RPM's the engine doesn't have to work as hard and use as much fuel to maintain a constant speed. It kind of evens out. You're only giving it as much fuel as the throttle allows.

·
Registered
879 Posts
said:
Remember when you are at higher RPM's the engine doesn't have to work as hard and use as much fuel to maintain a constant speed. It kind of evens out. You're only giving it as much fuel as the throttle allows.
Bringing me to something Ive been wondering what determines fuel flow? Throttle position or RPM or both. Say you are in 5th going 30 and you floor it, I would imagine you wouldnt be dumping fuel into the chambers or would you?

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
From what I know it's dependant on both. But at a slightly higher RPM giving you a little more power you wouldn't have to open the throttle as wide to maintain your constant freeway cruising speed. So depending how much less throttle you can give it at that higher RPM it may even out. Plus, with shorter gears you will probably get more applied torque to the wheels (more engine turns per wheel turn) and makes it easier for the car to move so that helps too. That's my thought anyway.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Delany...thanks for that article. Theres alot more involved than I thought. I was hoping I could somehow save money and get it intalled at the same time. Oh well. I certainly couldn't do it myself, and it seems that it would cost a lot for a mechanic to do it for me.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Remember when you are at higher RPM's the engine doesn't have to work as hard and use as much fuel to maintain a constant speed. It kind of evens out. You're only giving it as much fuel as the throttle allows.
If that were true, than why did Toyota give their Celica a sixth gear? on their web page it says they did it for lower rpms at a more relaxed cruising speed. This allows the car to get 31 mpg instead of 30 and still have 10 more horsepower. Is it because of the ecu leaning out the fuel at this rpm? Most cars overdrives are at 2500-2700 rpm even the Honda Ex is at this at I think 70 mph. So if you are right than getting a LS fifth gear to save gas would be a waste of money right? Not trying to argue or prove you wrong, it just that I never heard that before. I was always under the impression less rpms is more gas mileage. Goes to show you learn something new everyday.

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
I'm not saying it's useless, but the Type R and LS have the exact same 25/30 MPG rating. Making me believe there is something other than RPM affecting gas mileage. Fuel consumption is dependant on RPM, throttle position, and engine load.

·
Registered
8,083 Posts
The rating you're looking at is the EPA rating that was taken purely from exhaust gases, not real world testing. It's completely ridiculous how they come up with those lousy ratings.

Also, I get a minimum of 30mpg on my RS... You'd have to shift at like 2k in every gear on the ITR for that...

And about the six speed... They could have made a little sooner...

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
Regaurdless of how the EPA came up with the ratings, I've owned both cars. In the real world the Type R did get the exact same mileage as my LS did. After advancing the ignition timing I now get 2-3mpg better than the LS. I think the things Mike D mentioned are much more important when concerned with MPG than gearing is. A 6th gear would probably help mileage no doubt, but not by much.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts