Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked at a 2000 teg Type R today and the guy sellin' it said all Type Rs burn a lot of oil. I can't remember specifically what he said but something about it being blown out b/c of the pressure? and landing in the intake manifold. Something about redirecting it. Basically, do Type R's burn a lot of oil or is this a problem with his car?? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
BS, let me guess, you were at a dealership....hehe.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
landing in the intake manifold??!! nope i dont think so. cars burn oil when A.the oil has not been changed in a very long time and the viscosity is so low that it seeps through the piston rings into the cylinder. B. the piston rings are going bad and letting oil into the cylinder.

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
All of which should not be happening to a 2000 TypeR (a fairly new car) right alex?

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
yeah theres gotta be somethin wrong. the guys probably abused the sh*t out of it. did he do any internal mods?

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
That or else he has become best friends with the rev limiter/fuel cutoff.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
it would be in the intake manifold b/c of harder driving and the wimpy PCV system that hondas have. oil vapor sucked up in the IM from the crankcase. if you ever take off your IM, chances are yours will be a little soiled as well.

"blown out" is b/c of the inadequate PCV system and it's getting sucked in as vapor and collecting in the manifold
"redirected" is by means of catch cans, etc.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
could you explain it in a little more detail DaBoyNBLu. like the process of how it happens. im not doubting you im just interested because i have never heard of that before and would like to know how.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
The Old one has it all :)

the oil catch can threads all over the place are dealing with the same thing.

it's all an emissions setup where the combustion gasses that leak past the rings into the crankcase are sucked back into the intake to get burned. all of this is through the PCV (positive crankcase ventilation) system. it just so happens that in sucking all this blow-by gas some oil vapor goes with it, and it sometimes condenses in the intake manifold.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
correct, a breather filter on the valve cover does nothing to keep oil vapor from going into the intake manifold

1 - 12 of 12 Posts