Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone...I have done a search on type r cams...I am able to get a set of used ones with 150,000km on them for 450$. I did plan on upgrading my cams but not at the moment..but the opportunity is there...question is are they a direct drop in...I have a 94 gsr with 200,000km...I was planning an engine rebuild in a few years or so...it runs great!
Am I able to safely drop in the type r cams without upgrading the valve train(I do have adjustable cam gears)...I plan to keep the same redline...I am also getting a HKS air fuel regulator...and I have a I/H...with plans in the near future to obtain a high flow cat and exhaust...
As for power goals I want my car to be a little bit quicker...and every now and then show a few pesky cars a thing or 2...
So the real deal is should I buy the cams and drop them in(unless the spring and retainer install can be done with the head on) and get some results...I do not plan on taking the head off until I rebuild the engine at which time I can then increase the compression to better accomidate the type r cams...and stuff :)

peace

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
"ITR CAMS" in Search Function (page 6 of 11) got this thread.

Bring a measuring caliper with you to inspect and authenticate that you are getting what you are buying.

That's a lot of miles on those cams and so you better carefully look for wear scores.

This diagram of a B18C1 cam shows you where to inspect the cam for excessive wear. Ensure there is not any cracking. Ensure you are getting ITR cams by going to the middle lobe of the 3 (i.e. the VTEC lobe and measure the height above the base circle or core rod of the cam at the middle of the lobe. The max lift should be the spec you see in the cam article for the ITR cam. Remember there are 2 sets for the ITR: 1997-1999 and 2000-2001. The 2000-2001 ones are identical to the CTR cams.

I think we've covered the valvespring issue enough times here. move the gsr intake over and get a set of itr intake dual springs regardless of redline...end of discussion...if you want to roll the dice with your engine, then be my guest but please I don't want to hear any whining about your engine getting a piston slap at Cayuga (Toronto Motorspeedway or whatever it's called now...it's not even anywhere near Toronto!!!...lame name) while you were running her hard later on here.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you sir...just as I though...
there are real type r cams, I know the guys car it came of off...they were all telling me it was a direct drop in...I knew better!

thanks for the pat on the back

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
now the next question...does the head have to come off for me to change the springs and retainers...I just want to know if this is going to cost me a fortune to get them installed unless a buddy does it for me

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was wondering if you can also put new vavle seals on without taking off the head...I believe you can but I am still learning...Also it is benificial to get itr pistons...I priced them out and they are fairly reasonably including the piston rings...I am still debating on whether to just take the head off and do the engine rebuild or just replace the vavle seals and valve train(by the way I am going to upgrade the valve train and most likely get itr cams). I will be doing a compression test and leakdown test(will have to pay someone for that one though) so I will find out how my piston rings are doing. And try and save a few bucks that is why I am asking about removing the head because that will be costly.

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
you need a valve seal remover P/N 57900 from Honda or KD3350, installer tool KD2899, intake and exhaust valve seals with their springs. You can work from the top side of the ehad to install them without removing the head. The valve guides require removal of the head in order to be changed.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I still have to get the engine checked out...I was thinking of getting one of my mechanic buddies to help me out but they are much more familiar with v8's, actually he is a heavy duty desiel mechanic that owns a 4wd turbo impulse...If he has the time also or do I just call someone who works only on honda's...I know of a few people that would help me, but I would have to pay them...I could take the cams, springs and retainers off myself(I had a spare ls head and took everything off of that-it was fun, and now my friend owns it and has big plans for it) and I think I could even take off the valve seals...as for the guides-I never though about that...all will hopefully be told with a leak down test...am I on the right track Mike
and about the pistons...is it worth taking the head off...remember I am looking for resonable gains and I will tune everything once it is all done...

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
if your friend is helping you "for free" you don't want to be "flying blind". Go to the local acura dealer and ask to order a service manual for you model year. Either that or order a helms manual online at www.helminc.com.
Or else that "free help" can turn into "expensive repair"...and I don't care how good a mechanic he is...he'll need a proper (not Chiltons, not Haynes) service manual.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I do have a Haynes(read it on the can
) and the acura service manual which I keep beside my bed.
It doesn't look that complicated...and If I get over my head I can always get some help although I may have to pay for it...I wouldn't fly blind...that could be very costly!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts