Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. im new to the forum and just about 2 months ago i purchased a 95 integra 2dr for my self to modify, i purchased the car for 5000 dollars canadian, i have 15,000 left for modifications, i am looking into twin turbo, i also have been given a new type-r 99 engine with 20,000 KM on it, the LS motor has been removed and i have already ordered a BOXERM kit for the car, and i have a Brullene Exhaust system for the car, custom built, now i would like to dump all my money on twin turbo, i belive it is possible with the correct upper and lower manafolds, i would like to know if anyone has seen a twin turbo integra or would be able to help me purchase the system, thanks a lot guys

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
Twin turbo? I didnt know they made turbos that small, because they would have to be damn tiny to A: fit into the tegs small engine bay and B: not cause enough collective boost to send you're pistons into the pavement below, you're vavle train into the ionosphere, and launch the transaxle like a saturn rocket cutting youre legs of at the knees. In answer to you're second question, yeah I've seen twin turbo tegs, but they were tube framed, fiberglass bodied drag tegs with multiples of $10,000 thrown into making them able to handle the boost. Anyway, enough of the sarcasm
, for a street driven teg and not a trailer queen drag car you're limited to a reasonbly sized single turbo on a teg.

·
Registered
890 Posts
A single larger turbo, would be easier to tune, (anbd not brake nearly as much,) then two small turbo's. A fair sized turbo isn't that big to tell you the truth. And other then that, I don't really see it being too practical. It cost almost three times as much as a single turbo from what I've been told by two different people that have done this.

Also are you doing a bi-turbo, or a sequential (even if they aren't hooked together?) Bi Turbo is two turbo's that are the same size, where-as a sequential setup consist of one small turbo, and one larger one. Te addition of the small turbo is to aid the larger one. For further answers on the differences in the two setups I described i beleive Corky Bell has a book out, I can't remember the name off the top of my head, but I'd recomend at least borowing it from some-one if you don't want to by it. It's been mentioned in many threads before as well. I'd search but running low on time.

·
Registered
168 Posts
wait... wait... wait...You say you were given a Type R engine???

About the twin turbo. I dont know enough about the dynamics of a system like that to give valid information. But, reason would tell you that it isnt recommended.

Maybe BoostControl or Ati2ude can provide better insight...

·
Registered
78 Posts
don't do twin turbo, just get a good-sized single turbo. given a b18c5? damn man, that's straight. just be sure to get new pistons, lol...I knew a guy who just threw a big ass turbo on his b18c5 without modifying anything on the engine, well he turned the boost way up for the track one night and the rest is history...

·
Registered
184 Posts
Hell, with that kind of cash, I would do this with the stuff you got now. Ship that Type R block down to JG Engine Dynamics & have them build that puppy up. Then get a TD04E Turbo & crank the boost to around 10-15psi. You'll be rockin :)

Got a friend who has a civic hatch with a JG pro built GSR motor with that turbo & he is pushing around 480hp to the ground.

He ran a 12.9 in the 1/4 spinning all the way down the track on street tires with stock pressure still in them.

·
Registered
126 Posts
only TT if you have a NSX engine <<drool>> the teg thing just isnt pratical id be like puttin a turbo on a go kart...it just aint right...ive seen a twin turbo NSX <<drool>> at the track once...he had twin T34 like 11.7 or somthin <<drool>>

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
Possible? Yes.

Feasible or smart to do? Hell no.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok guys, i just spent 5 minutes reading all that, now i understand what you guys are saying, TT is not such a good idea, and yeah i was givin a Japanese Type R engine, from one of my close friends, he saved me a lot of money, tobe honest i dont know who JG Engine Dynamics are and what they are about, could you tell me a bit more?
thanks guys

·
Registered
157 Posts
Your biggest problems with fabricating a twin turbo setup would be fitting it in the engine compartment. Ditch the AC, tilt the radiator forward with FAL fan, and you could probably wedge a pair of small turbos in there. The intakes would best be plumbed together and ran over the top the of left hand turbo into a single filter. Plumb the pipe from the intake outlet on the compressors together into a single pipe going into the intercooler, then find a way to route that (maybe just inside your passanger side wheelwell below the transmission mount) up to your intake manifold. As for the exhausts, the exhaust manifold itself would have to be split, two cylinders to a turbine. Have the exhaust sections facing each with a pipe going down in a "Y" and plumbed straight back into the cat.

A person could do it... it wouldn't be easy, and it'd take some ingenuity... but it'd be a helluva one-off!

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
nice friend-- does he need any more friends-- icould use a type r motor too--any extras? how about a jdm itr interior lying around his room somewhere he needs to get rid of----

As for JG engine dynamics-- it is a US based company that is VERY WELL KNOWN for originally making parts for american cars (mustangs and camaros) mostly pistons both high and low comp. THey have now moved to imports and can custom build your motor based on what you want---better stronger more durable---

if you are looking to even go with a asingle turbo-- get ready to build and spend almost all of that $15-- turbo setup with intercooler alone will run about 3-5000then you need all kinds of things that people dont tell you about--- about 1000 in an engine managemnt system, add in guages boost controller (300-500+ -- ipaid 550 for my apexi ACV-R) lots of other stuff too-----plan first and ask abuot everything

·
Registered
368 Posts
Is that the 4,000hp car? And does anyone know if JG has a website?

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
tankengine on Aug/28/02 said:
Hi. im new to the forum and just about 2 months ago i purchased a 95 integra 2dr for my self to modify, i purchased the car for 5000 dollars canadian, i have 15,000 left for modifications, i am looking into twin turbo, i also have been given a new type-r 99 engine with 20,000 KM on it, the LS motor has been removed and i have already ordered a BOXERM kit for the car, and i have a Brullene Exhaust system for the car, custom built, now i would like to dump all my money on twin turbo, i belive it is possible with the correct upper and lower manafolds, i would like to know if anyone has seen a twin turbo integra or would be able to help me purchase the system, thanks a lot guys
Sorry OT, but DAMN!!!! $5000 for a 95??GIVEN a Type-R engine?? sh*t man...I got my RS for about $8k. Dude...I live in Scarborough...can u hook it up?!?!

·
Registered
41 Posts
apexi has a twin turbo kit and i think their car is in the low eights in the 1320. this is a great idea and to those who dont think so too bad. what we all strive to be is fast on the street and a big turbo from a standing start has a lot of lag and then bang too much. how about a system that kicks in early and as the rpms pick up progressively gets stronger. i wouldnt see any where other than all out drag cars where a single turbo would be better.

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
Wow, please, twin turbo your car and tell us the results...I'm sure the apexi car you speak of had a lot done to the engine and probably wasn't street legal, not to mention driveable/reliable.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts