Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1996 LS Manual Hatchback
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, a few months ago I got my head redone with a new headgasket since the old one was blown. Ever since then every once in a while I would notice a clicking noise under my dash. After a while, I decided to follow it and found out that it led to my turning signal relay. I could feel it clicking when I touched it and it would stop when I removed it. My turning signals still turn on and the relay and the lights work perfectly whenever I would signal for a turn. BUT when I was just driving straight and not using my turn signals, the relay would just start clicking like crazy, and stop, then start again a minute or two later. Then after replacing some hoses in my engine bay it stopped for a few days, maybe a week, but this week it came back and now it just won't stop from the second I turn the ignition to on!! I tried checking out the bulbs and they're all fine, and I even replaced them anyway. I removed my hazard light button and it stopped it from clicking but also killed my turning signals so that was pointless. I replaced it anyway with a hazard switch from my 96 LS junker. Does anyone know what else it could be?? I even tried replacing the relay with another one i had from my 96 LS and it still did it!! Now i'm just stuck and confused, any help would be greatly appreciated.

It's pretty much exactly like this guys problem: 1997 Civic Turning Signal Relay

****PROBLEM SOLVED****

Turns out it was the turning signal stalk after all. After being used for so long and moving so much, some metal shavings had gotten stuck in the grease and made a weak conductive connection between pins, letting just enough voltage pass to turn on the relays clicking sound but not enough to make the lights turn on. So I first opened up the old one to clean it out, but then I kinda broke the end of the stalk that clips into place while putting it back together, so I said screw it and just took the one I had in my old junked 96 LS and put it in. WORKS GOOD AS NEW, NO MORE TICKS!!!

·
Premium Member
1996 LS Manual Hatchback
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I replaced the switch but it's still doing it...is it possible it's a short or pinched wire somewhere? I did a quick lookover of the wiring for the front two turning signals and they seem to be a little tight on slack but not really pinched anywhere between the light and where it meets the main harness by the strut tower.

·
Registered
363 Posts
When you hear these clicks every few minutes do the blinkers light up?
Doubt on the short or youd blow a fuse.
Leave the blinker on for a few minutes and see if you hear any "extra" clicks.
Turn signal stalk switch is probably about to retire.
Remove the stalk and resort to hand signals
signals are for sissies

·
Premium Member
1996 LS Manual Hatchback
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I now hear the clicks constantly instead of every few minutes, but the lights do not flash when it clicks, that's what's so strange. All i hear are clicks but the lights stay off.

There was one time I signaled to make a left and the lights blinked fast for a sec like I had a bad bulb and it clicked like crazy again then it stopped making my light's flash fast and it's never done that since and that was months ago.

LOL to hand signals...they'd prolly get me shot in this city or hit by some retard of a driver that never read their driver's ed book.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Is it correct that you removed the relay and the clicking stopped? Replaced with a different one and it returned? Has to be the stalk switch. You should probe the relay witha DMM and see if voltage flux is consistant with clicking you hear. Also probe at bulb socket and see if there is a slight voltage during the click.
I had a strange clicking sound that turned out to be the thermal protection in the window motor because the switch was bad and always upping.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Try using signal, and hazard, seperately, and see if relay operates normal or eratic. Do the extra clicks stop when the relay is "active"? See which input(hazard or signal) stops erratic clicking when active, and that one is most likely the problem. If the switch is in early stages of failure it will most likely work properly when active and resume defective behavior when passive. Some electricity is prolly jumping the gap. Not enough to light the bulb but enough to click the relay. I dunno, maybe.

·
Premium Member
1996 LS Manual Hatchback
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yea I removed the relay and the clicking stopped, then it returned after I replaced the relay with another one. I'll check the bulbs with the dmm to see if there is any change is voltage, but for the relay how can I probe it? It's stuck pretty firmly inside the under dash fusebox, held in by clips, and I can't really get to it's prongs. Any other place I can tap into it to probe around?

·
Premium Member
1996 LS Manual Hatchback
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's exactly what you said, when I'm using my signals or hazards and the relay is active, the extra clicks stop, but when it's passive it just clicks away like no tomorrow.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.