Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everytime I turn on my AC, the idle does not get higher like normal. Does anyone know why the idle is not getting set a little higher once the AC is turned on? My car will die sometimes because after pulling it out of gear, the idle will drop too low. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
696 Posts
If I get a chance tomorrow, I'll turn the A/C on and see what it does to my idle. I rarely use it, so I don't recall how much it affects the idle. I'll let you know when I figure out more.

·
Premium Member
1996 LS Manual Hatchback
2,509 Posts
you know what's funny one time I read somewhere that if the revs didn't rise when you turned on your lights, or your a/c or added any extra strain to the engine, that it's a healthy sign, and it never made sense to me...maybe it has something to do with having solid connections in the electrical system? But if your car is dying b/c of it, then that just definitely doesn't make sense

·
Registered
565 Posts
boridragon02 on Sep/05/07 said:
you know what's funny one time I read somewhere that if the revs didn't rise when you turned on your lights, or your a/c or added any extra strain to the engine, that it's a healthy sign, and it never made sense to me...maybe it has something to do with having solid connections in the electrical system? But if your car is dying b/c of it, then that just definitely doesn't make sense
there might be another explanation but my thoughts would be that if your RPM's don't rise and everything is working properly it would be a sign of a healthy alternator more than a sign of a health motor. the motor increases the RPM's to accommodate the higher amperage draw on the electrical system by increasing the alternators output. i couldn't say for sure, but this seems to be the logical conclusion

·
Registered
34 Posts
hey bro, as far as i know the idle isn't supposed to rise on integras when using the ac or any other accessory. i believe one function of the iacv is to allow the car to idle properly with the ac on without the need to raise the rpm. if your iacv isnt functioning properly than you may have an rpm drop when using the ac or accessories that require more output from the alternator. most cars which raise rpm when engaging ac do not have an iacv. also, the emissions sticker on the bottom side of the hood would show a seperate idle speed for when ac is engaged. as a sidenote, i have a s300 unit and there are no options for raising the idle to a specific rpm when engaging ac. however, there are options to set the ac to cutoff at a designated tps output or desired rpm. neway, if your car is acting like its going to stall with ac engaged you either need to clean/replace iacv or check for vacuum leaks.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have a similar problem, but my car doesn't stall, it comes close to stalling, but the same goes for it i have the headlights on or wipers on, it puts more strain on the motor, and it seems like it is having a harder time at idle b/c of it. I'm assuming i'd need to clean/replace my IAC

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.