Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What compression ratio would you reccomend if i were to turbo a gsr? should i go low?...if i go low wouldn't that hurt my vtec though? because i feel a little weary about running 10 lbs on stock internals...

·
Registered
693 Posts
The LS is setup nicely for turbo...9:1 you can get a Aftermaket head gasket and lower that even more...say 8:8 8:9 Add ARP head studs and you would be able to run SAFELY 7-8psi on a LS and 8-10 on a GSR...with stock internals...

But I say this alot...If you asked me 2 months ago I would say sure on "Stock Internals"...Now after learning my lesson the hard way...BUILD EM! Pay now or pay later...

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
No, you won't... If you do it right. I went for a TODA Head gasket before the season went up, and it brought me down to 9.4:1, which is more of a precaution than anything else. I've seen GSRs run on 9.5 daily driving on 92-93 Octane for years, and never have a problem, but again, they have the right stuff to begin with.

Keep that sense of fear with you, for even if you build the motor, you can still blow up something. But if you're careful, thorough, cautious, and have picked the right kit, I don't see any reason why you would have a problem.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
lowering compression is only losing power, especially for just 10 psi. there's other posts on this, but essentially, lower CR will always make less power, but will be harder to keep from detonating... but detonation isn't much of a problem at 10 psi, and possibly a little more. 10 psi on stock internals is about as high as you want to go, as well.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Please don't use DaBoyNBlu as a rule of thumb..No offense DaBoy...Running 10psi daily ...sure it can be done I know this..I blew a head-gasket on 8psi fully tuned !
I have seen motors grenade on 6-7-8-9psi and even higher ! There are far to many varibles that come into play here ! 10psi on stock internals is risky...
Now pay a visit to another Honda.Heck forum and they laugh at that statement...They use 10-12 even 15psi on stock internals and this lil thing they call a VAFC-HACK and 440 injectors !...*LOL* Stupidest thing I have EVER seen ! *LOL* Be smart man...READ our Turbo FAQ's !

·
Registered
549 Posts
DaBoyNBlu on Sep/18/02 said:
lowering compression is only losing power, especially for just 10 psi. there's other posts on this, but essentially, lower CR will always make less power, but will be harder to keep from detonating... but detonation isn't much of a problem at 10 psi, and possibly a little more. 10 psi on stock internals is about as high as you want to go, as well.
does he know what hes talking about cause I always thought lower compression was better for turbos

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
now that ive got my car running properly i think if tuned it can be done---
i run 7-8 psi daily and 12 on track days-- on stock internals and head gasket-- but at the same time i monitor everything constantly -- i have an array of guages that keep me informed whenever Im in boost--
like a Greddy A/F guage(not a rinky dink autometer disco style) also an Apexi EGT and boost as well as coolant temp--
keep things cool and dont constantly run 12 psi for 6 hrs straight and you should be safe but dont take my word on that--
WHENEVER YOU FORCE INDUCE AN NA CAR YOU ARE LOOKING TO BREAK THINGS--

·
Registered
57 Posts
U really wanna run boost on stock internals??
Fine, but go to a dyno w/ wideband O2 and see if your running fat or lean @ ur desired boost. If u are lean, then u better start upping ur fuel system or go to engine management...

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
BoostControl on Sep/19/02 said:
Please don't use DaBoyNBlu as a rule of thumb..No offense DaBoy...Running 10psi daily ...sure it can be done I know this..I blew a head-gasket on 8psi fully tuned !
I have seen motors grenade on 6-7-8-9psi and even higher ! There are far to many varibles that come into play here ! 10psi on stock internals is risky...
Now pay a visit to another Honda.Heck forum and they laugh at that statement...They use 10-12 even 15psi on stock internals and this lil thing they call a VAFC-HACK and 440 injectors !...*LOL* Stupidest thing I have EVER seen ! *LOL* Be smart man...READ our Turbo FAQ's !
tons of people run the crv crank pulley on the JRSC, that's 10 psi, and all they complain about usually is how fast their clutch wears out. and, no offense, but you're not "fully tuned" with just an FMU and all that jazz, that's a run-around method for real management. and you most likely blew a head gasket b/c your car is old, and it's an LS, it's not made for that kind of power out-of-the-box... no offense, of course

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
lostyouth on Sep/19/02 said:
Quote: DaBoyNBlu on Sep/18/02lowering compression is only losing power, especially for just 10 psi. there's other posts on this, but essentially, lower CR will always make less power, but will be harder to keep from detonating... but detonation isn't much of a problem at 10 psi, and possibly a little more. 10 psi on stock internals is about as high as you want to go, as well.
does he know what hes talking about cause I always thought lower compression was better for turbos

[/quote]

http://www.hondalife.com/articles/turbochargerompression.htm

try "reading the articles" before you accuse people of not knowing what they're talking about

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
I know a guy that has a 98 supra TT, running 28psi and drives it daily.. he just doesnt get on it alot.. but when he does... one word... DAMN

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
Supra engines are pretty much made to handle high boost are they not?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Lowering compression is a crappy substitue for tuning, and overall engine knowledge. All you are going to do is lose power, and lose efficiency. STOCK internal B18C1 motors can boost in excess of 20psi. Now, when I say this, I don't mean go ahead and dial up to 20psi, and floor it everywhere you go. No, I just say that as a way to open your eyes. Turbocharging a Honda is not as taboo as everyone seems to think. A B18C1 will last forever on 10psi, so long as the engine is well taken care of, has "enough" fuel and spark to make it happy, and is decently tuned. At the track, you can boost generally as high as your STREET CAR's fuel and ignition system can handle, tuned. You see, it's not boost that kills your motor it's not compression that kills your motor. It is a combination of your inability to tune it correctly for your driving style, and your heavy ass right foot. A B18C1 motor, as a rule of thumb, can make and sustain between 350hp-400hp with stock internals, should it be properly tuned and cared for. There are no hidden secrets, there are no bogus myths or taboos. It's just a bottom line, and that is the fact that your street B18C1 can make more power than you will ever need, STOCK.

How do I know this...? I have been doing this for years, and have turbocharged numerous motors successfully. I am in the process of making ANOTHER Honda right now, and it will be a turbocharged B16A, and you can bet that I will be outrunning every BUILT turbocharged street Honda there is. There is a threshhold that street Hondas have, where after, power production becomes POINTLESS due to traction issues. It is VERY easy to make a safe, reliable 320hp-340hp on an Integra engine, and not have any problems with it for as long as you own it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
P.S.

Another thing people need to remember is that just because your boost is set to 12psi...that doesn't mean that you are hitting 12psi every time you get in your car. Too many people base their arguments around the notion that since your car is dialed in at a certain psi, you must be hitting that 24/7

·
Registered
693 Posts
DaBoyNBlu on Sep/20/02 said:
Quote: BoostControl on Sep/19/02Please don't use DaBoyNBlu as a rule of thumb..No offense DaBoy...Running 10psi daily ...sure it can be done I know this..I blew a head-gasket on 8psi fully tuned ! I have seen motors grenade on 6-7-8-9psi and even higher ! There are far to many varibles that come into play here ! 10psi on stock internals is risky...
tons of people run the crv crank pulley on the JRSC, that's 10 psi, and all they complain about usually is how fast their clutch wears out. and, no offense, but you're not "fully tuned" with just an FMU and all that jazz, that's a run-around method for real management. and you most likely blew a head gasket b/c your car is old, and it's an LS, it's not made for that kind of power out-of-the-box... no offense, of course
No offense taken ! Running with a LS is a lot better for turbos due to the lower (9:1) compression than a GSR/ITR... But then again I am sure you knew that ! And age has nothing to do with it either or at least in my case it did not !
A compression and leakdown test does !
All which passed with flying colors prior to the turbo.
My problem was a shot oil pump ! You are correct on the FMU/V-AFC route...It's better than nothing and at least I am not using some lame ass HACK crap poor mans way of tuning ! I plan on AEM/EMS soon !

1 - 20 of 30 Posts