Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I want to go turbocharging soon because I have no other go fast parts. I don't want to waste money on a intake and header and then later in the future, go for a turbo because w/ the turbo in, then these parts will go to waste. My question is, if I have someone to put some aftermarket Rods and Pistons into my car (low CR), will it run pretty good even though my car is not turboed? Will I lose horsepower and can i still rev my car to 8,000 w/ these two items? I just want them installed now so I can save up for my turbo and be ready for some high boosting.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
you don't need to lower the compression ratio. we've had a few heated threads, but the general consensus is the fact that a higher CR engine will make more power than a lower CR engine with the same mods. the only problem is that it makes it harder to tune. but, unless you're planning on going crazy with the boost (>10-12 lb, which wouldn't be all that great with everything else stock) then your stock CR will be fine, and very powerful.

i do agree with stronger rods and pistons, but not necessarily lower compression.

·
Registered
126 Posts
ur pistons have nothin to do with ur revin to 8k...all ur doin is lessing ur power...the lower the CR the less power unless ur pumping a big volume of air into the space u made ie turbo...but yes u need to lower cr to turbo...it wont hurt ur revin but u will loose hp, alot of hp depends on how lower u make it...buy the rods now and just wait to have them installed with ur turbo

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
read a bunch of the articles at hondavision, many of which are written by the same people here. you don't need to lower CR, it just makes it easier to tune. and even then it doesn't become a problem until you go high boost, like 10+.

JE makes some nice strong forged pistons that make the CR 9.8:1 for a gs-r, then get a thinner head gasket to up it back to close to 10:1 and you'll have a powerful turbo setup, and not hard to tune on pump gas till you try crazy boost.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts