Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have thinking about getting a turbo for awhile and researching and looking around and wanted to go with a custom set up with a 14b or 16g, because of the fast spool up. I have a 98 gsr with about 60,000 miles. After talking to a few people they have warned me about the risks of a turbo saying most people blow their engine. How worried should I be about this if I am only running 7-8psi before getting new internals? Also, they said superchargers are much more reliable and a lot less maintenance. Is this primarily true? I am going to using my car as a daily driver with some trips to the drag strip and autox. Also I have searched many times and read the faqs so don't tell me to search. thanks for any replies

·
Registered
890 Posts
Well custom anything=trouble and downtime. Take this as a warning.

Turbo maintenence is simple, every oil change check the compressor side for endplay. Every time you start or shut off the car wait at least a minute before moving the vehicle, etc,etc. When the car is ran extremely hard leave the car run extra time to cool it down.

Even 14b's and 16g's have "lag," This is the amount of time before you reach your desired level of boost. The bigger the trubo, the longer the lag. The engine that the two turbo's were built for, usually has a full spool on a 3" Mandrel bent exhaust by 3000 rpms for the 14b and 3800 rpms for the 16G.

Supercharging, I'm not 100Percent sure on maintaining one. I do know that a supercharger will start spooling quicker, (as in boosting off the line,) instead of waiting ona turbo.

There is much confusion on horsepower towards a group of people. More Peak horsepower and torque then everyone else does not mean you will go faster then everyone else. My favorite addon in my opinion is a JRSC. The only reason I prefer one, is they build around the aplication. More to the point they build more power ina useable range then the other vendors packages do for the GSR. I may not vtech, but compare the dynographs of peopel with similar setups and look at the way the vortech peaks, and the way the jsrc is usually higher in hp through the band. But that's what I look for when I look at a kit.

As far as your custom turbo kit, I see you spending more in the long run from mistakes that you may not have even made, (frabication dealings, etc, etc.,) then buying a kit that doesn't exactly have your price. A kit that more then likely (givena good install) won't leave you stranded later on. Long story short you get what you pay for, and the guy claiming he can make a manifold cheap probably won't have near as good a quality, unless he's really good and doing you a favor.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah the only thing I don't like about kits is they don't come with the stuff I want. Like I don't really want a t3/t4 turbo because it is made for my boost than I am aiming for and this is just going to make it spool slower when i am not using that capacity. The other things like the blowoff and the wastegate but I guess a kit might be the way to start off and then upgrade the parts that I don't like. Also I know the 14b and 16g have to spool up faster I was just saying the they spool faster than a t3/t4 that is in most kits. Anyway thanks for the tips on maintenance.

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
"I may not vtech,"

Yeah, neither do I, I like my Panasonic phone, VTECH makes cheap phones....and I like the VTEC in my car....

·
Registered
890 Posts
My apologies, I meant may not have v-tec..... Aside from that you try typing in a room kept at 60 degrees, after walking inside from lunch on a hot florida humidity. Besides I'm still under the impression that most Forced induction setups, you want more aiflow, and that the v-tec point can hinder the setup, (even though it has nothing to do with a topic, neither does what you typed.) Anyway my 2 cents and I apologize to anyone I offended.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Justin Klemgold on Aug/28/02 said:
"I may not vtech,"

Yeah, neither do I, I like my Panasonic phone, VTECH makes cheap phones....and I like the VTEC in my car....
what was this post for? you never make typos? maybe i'll use the "search" function you're so famous at pointing out at the left
<-------
and find any typo you've ever made

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
DaBoyNBlu on Aug/28/02 said:
Quote: Justin Klemgold on Aug/28/02"I may not vtech,"

what was this post for? you never make typos? maybe i'll use the "search" function you're so famous at pointing out at the left
<-------
Easy tiger, trust me, if I wouldn't have pointed it out, someone else would have. I didn't mean to offend ya there big guy.

·
Registered
455 Posts
you must have a smartass sometime, somewhere, it just feels empty if ya dont. even thought that was funny justin, just dont ever do it to me!

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
Maybe he has a VTECH phone

·
Registered
259 Posts
Justin Klemgold on Aug/28/02 said:
Quote: DaBoyNBlu on Aug/28/02Quote: Justin Klemgold on Aug/28/02"I may not vtech," Yeah, neither do I, I like my Panasonic phone, VTECH makes cheap phones....and I like the VTEC in my car....
<-------
Easy tiger, trust me, if I wouldn't have pointed it out, someone else would have. I didn't mean to offend ya there big guy.

i just wanted to add to the list of quotes, plus i really dont think anybody else wouldve pointed that typo out cuz nobody else wouldve cared.

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
OK OK, back on topic now, this isn't fair to the person who started this thread...if anyone spells VTEC with an "h" in the future, someone will do the same thing....trust me.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Yeah.... Sorry I didn't mean to go there, I've just hada my buttons pushed lately.
Oh well, anyway, one of the autocross guys , I know, is running 14b. Pretty much the 14b can hold 18 PSI all the way to red-line. More or less its a great turbo, but can break the tires loose in a trun too easily. I'd say, if you insist on going turbo, go for the 16G the little bit of lag will help with a launches and turns. You'll also be able to turn up the boost provided bigger injectors (I recommend 550's and not to use Denso injectors.)

btw. I'd rather get a v-tec head then get a v-tech phone.

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
ive done both to my teg so i can tell you personally----

for drag--- go turbo--- much more peak power, and very strong-- i am currently using an 18G- TD05 turbo from greddy kit setup for a 96 that i made to fit my 95--

for autocross go with an SC --- you have more power in the turns at lower rpm without wearing on the clutch as much or breaking loose one tire--- you also can come out of the corner faster --- with the handling of a teg you could easily take anycorner then push out on 6-8 lbs of boost---

keep in mind that 8lbs of SC boost is no where near the power of 8lbs turbo boost-- much less power but you get it sooner-----

·
Registered
890 Posts
95gsrturbo on Aug/29/02 said:
keep in mind that 8lbs of SC boost is no where near the power of 8lbs turbo boost-- much less power but you get it sooner-----
You have to start measuring airflow at that point. A true 18G, (with a 12 cm exhaust housing,) is capable of pushing approximately 570 CFM. I'm not sure what the jsrc or vortech supercharger pushes, but I'm sure the extra power band will be in the bottom for the supercharger. Translation, Superchargers don't need as much HP to go jsut as afast as a turbo.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts