Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i found a turbo for pretty cheap. i am trying to figure if its worth my time or not. the engine it came off was in a junk yard and the owner said the car had low miles on it. yea right! not too shure what year the saab was. all it said on the valve cover isSAAB 9000
im thinking its a t3 it says AIRESEARCH on the housing so i know its a Garrett and the intake is stamped with AR42 and the exhaust has AR48. it spins good with no shaft play or rust and he wants $100 for it.

i would be gratefull for any advice on weather i should buy it or not and supporting reasons for those answers.

·
Registered
444 Posts
t3 .42/.48
...is a small turbo, probably too small for your LS. While its going to spool really quick its going to die out on the top end. Probably not worth your time

·
Registered
354 Posts
Really depends on what you're looking for.

If you're looking to build one insane turbocharged four banger with a ridiculous amount of power, then an OEM turbo probably won't fit your needs. The OEM turbo is directly fitted to the engine it came with and is efficient with respect to that engine's STOCK performance. If you try to go beyond that, you approach the limits of that turbo.

However, If you're just looking to add a quick spooling turbo to your daily driver, an OEM turbo may be a good choice. Pick a horsepower goal, do some calculations, and check the compressor map to see if it fits your needs.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
I dont really understand why someone would say its not a good size for an ls... its really a great size for an ls we dont have high redlines so full spool around 3000 is good... 2 of my friends rock them on there cars and they love them for 100$ id pick it up

·
Registered
400 Posts
91_IntegRacer on Jan/22/06 said:
I dont really understand why someone would say its not a good size for an ls... its really a great size for an ls we dont have high redlines so full spool around 3000 is good... 2 of my friends rock them on there cars and they love them for 100$ id pick it up
The application that turbo was designed for is nothing like the honda motor. As deadlock said its not going to be the best match, but it will add a little fun to the daily driver. Dont get into this game if you dont want to spend money.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.